Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone's tried a FMIC and a TMIC setup yet. There's a shop willing to experiment on my car if I scoop up the FMIC....but I'm broke...hehe

·
Registered
59 Posts
...its just me..but i dont think thats a good idea. the amount of piping and the amount of air that has to flow through all that piping would either conflict with the stock turbo's effiency range. now..i believe that if u had a larger turbo..like a vf30, or pe1820..then that would provide enough flow so all that piping woulnt bog down the current of air that flows through the system.

I belive for a front mount system..there is a pressure drop of about 1-2.5 psi in general....it would be less for a top mount.

·
2,210 Posts
BoostedAWD said:
...its just me..but i dont think thats a good idea. the amount of piping and the amount of air that has to flow through all that piping would either conflict with the stock turbo's effiency range. now..i believe that if u had a larger turbo..like a vf30, or pe1820..then that would provide enough flow so all that piping woulnt bog down the current of air that flows through the system.

I belive for a front mount system..there is a pressure drop of about 1-2.5 psi in general....it would be less for a top mount.
I believe that there is generally less pressure drop across a front-mount than a top-mount. What you are probably confusing this with is the fact that a FMIC generally has more volume and therefore takes longer for your turbocharger to pressurize. This is perceived as lag.

On the original topic: running both an FMIC and TMIC would seem somewhat redundant. Why wouldn't you just run a front-mount and be done with it? The extra top-mount will probably gain you little if any extra cooling, and will do nothing to improve any lag caused by the front-mount.

-Pace

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fron vs. Top Mount

I looked long and harh at the top vs. front mount intercoolers. Finally decuded on a MRT top mount with a water spray (live near DC, lots of traffic jams. If you go with the front mount make sure you don't have to shave your bumper mounts. You may loose your fog lights and beware of how much, if any overlap there is with the radiator because, if you live in PA or DC-pot hole capitals, the inetrcooler should be sitting too low.

·
2,210 Posts
I believe with the Blitz LM you do indeed loose both your fogs and part of your bumper support. This is but a small price to pay...

Given the stone chips around here and the damage already present on my top mount, I would definitely protect a front mount with some sort of mesh if I had one.

-Pace

·
Registered
59 Posts
in LA there is decent paving .. some places its hell...but I dont have anything covering mine.

you have to shave your bumper support and remove foglights for the piping to go properly.

I've seen an AE86 with a turbo 20 valve engline running 2 fmics...ran 9.0...not bad for a 1986 corolla gt-s .... damn Signal Auto. DAMN THEM TO HELL.

do it and tell us what happens.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
A well designed TMIC (APS Cobb) has a lower pressure drop than a well designed FMIC (APS Cobb).

One of the advantages of the FMIC is lower heat soak compared to the TMIC. Putting a TMIC in line with a FMIC would almost definitely decrease HP since you are reintroduing the heat soak issue and adding addition air flow resistance (pressure drop).

-Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Beside the pressure drop, all those extra hardware equal weight. So I suggest go with the best TMIC or the best FMIC but not both.

I think a TMIC with a 15 sec CO2 or N2O cooling and the proper chip map / turbo / injectors upgrade will be a killer combo for a drag car :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts