Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how har would it be to make a car with one engine for the front and one for the back wheels

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very hard.

·
1,379 Posts
Well, aside from requiring massive amounts of custom fabrication- a hell of a challenge in its own right, it's an even bigger problem to regulate the difference in speed between the front and rear wheels.

The WRX, for example, has a mid diff which handles this. With a twin engine car, though, there's no immediate mechanical solution to this. Note the twin-engine Tiburon featured in last year's Sport Compact Car tuner challenge- it 0wn3d everyone in drag, but got dead last on the track.

So- it's really hard to do in the first place, but it's even harder to do right. HTH.

·
895 Posts
joethesajin said:
how har would it be to make a car with one engine for the front and one for the back wheels
well, from this euro-tuner magazine i read, apparently a brit took an Audi TT coupe and made it into a bi-motor car - one in the front, one in the back - that thing is making some 600+hp right there :eek: :eek: :eek: and i think he plans on making several of those for sale. i forget the price though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: twin engine car

Penguinking said:

Audi TT coupe and made it into a bi-motor car - one in the front, one in the back -... i forget the price though
Want more info on this Audi supercar...:D

Here

I can't find the actual tuner though - sorry

·
895 Posts
yeah - i thought it was done by some guy who just had a lot of money...i dunno if he owned a tuner shop or anything

·
Registered
473 Posts
Back around 1986 or so, Car and Driver built a twin engine CRX Si. It had about 190 hp and weighed about 2200 lb, and needless to say it was damn quick.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: Re: Re: twin engine car

Superfluid SS said:

Want more info on this Audi supercar...:D

Here

I can't find the actual tuner though - sorry
There's an article about this Audi in the September issue of Sprots Car International. The tuner is MTM. This thing is simply amazing, 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, tops out at 215mph with handling to match. Cool instrument panel too, dual boost gauges and tachs. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
someone tuned a tiburon with twin turbocharged engines. they featured it in the ultimate street car challenge awhile back

http://www.luckday.com/archives/features/feature01_0302.shtml
http://www.luckday.com/archives/features/feature01_0302d.shtml

"Michael McIntyre's twin-engine Hyundai put 627 hp to the ground in our dyno competition. It did the same thing here--in a completely different way. McIntyre's car uses two independently controlled automatic transmissions, giving him the ability to operate them in drive and reverse at the same time--which is exactly what he did. The resulting automotive tug of war was enough to send any chassis engineer into convulsions.

With the front tranny in reverse and the rear in drive, McIntyre laid into the go pedal and didn't lift until he'd made enough tire smoke to put California's Air Resources Board on high alert. The car began to slowly rotate on its axis as all four drive wheels fought each other for dynamic control. In about 10 seconds, the entire car was engulfed. When it was over, the ground was covered with smoldering piles of rubber and the most confused burnout marks ever made. He won. No one else even came close."

·
895 Posts
ooooooo!!!! i remember reading that article about that hyundai!!

that is SOOOOOOOO cool - for most cars (well, any car except this one really) if you had each axle powered by a diff transmission and u put one in drive and the other in reverse, the suspension would probly collapse on itself and the car would just fall apart lol

that must've been the sweetest burnout ever

...my secret goal: mod my rex until its powerful enough (and strong enough) to do a 4 wheel burnout - screw the opposite transmission crap, im not that mechanically inclined ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes... yes it did.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very awesome. Is that your personal page? Cause I want to show that vid to friends, but I dont' want them using all your bandwith.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
JimmyNY said:
Very awesome. Is that your personal page? Cause I want to show that vid to friends, but I dont' want them using all your bandwith.
I use Fototime to host my pics and movies, but I don't know if there is a bandwidth limit. Feel free to show it to your friends, but please don't let them spread it all over the web.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts