Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my new audio system.
Amp:pioneer GM-D9065 5 Channel Amp
Front Speakers: Polk Audio DB6501 Component
Back Speakers: Polk Audio DB521 Coaxial
Sub: Not yet installed

It sounds great, until I drive for a good amount of time, then the front driver side tweeter stops working and starts whining and whines differently when i step on the clutch or accelerate.

I also notice when it's whining and I turn the engine off but electronics in car are still on, its still whining. Sometimes it will go back to normal and start playing music then vice versa..
It's only that one tweeter.

Anyone know any idea what the problem may be?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Whining is usually the result of a ground loop.. but that would occur with all the speakers, and would stop any time the amp is shut off. Either way, I would guess it's an install error.. probably with the amp and/or head unit ground. I had experienced whine in my bugeye after installing an aftermarket stereo and I solved it by grounding the head unit directly to the chassis. The ground through the wiring loom is notoriously bad in most cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was the ground and I moved my amp ground. But did not check my head unit ground, as I was taking out my head unit while listening to music. The buzzing stopped and then would come back moving it. Come to found out after a while of touching wires, one of my RCA cables were faulty and would only work at an awkward angle. Replaced it and it sounds great.

Summary: Bad RCA cable, fixed

Thanks for answering Mainframe. Without your help I wouldn't have checked the headunit and probably take apart my door and check the speaker. Saved me a lot of time and frustration. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I thought it was the ground and I moved my amp ground. But did not check my head unit ground, as I was taking out my head unit while listening to music. The buzzing stopped and then would come back moving it. Come to found out after a while of touching wires, one of my RCA cables were faulty and would only work at an awkward angle. Replaced it and it sounds great.

Summary: Bad RCA cable, fixed

Thanks for answering Mainframe. Without your help I wouldn't have checked the headunit and probably take apart my door and check the speaker. Saved me a lot of time and frustration. :thumbup:

Good deal.. bad wires can be difficult to track down.

I remember one time my system started whining bad out of nowhere, then when I pulled the head unit out there was a loud sizzling noise from inside, a big puff of smoke came out, and the whine stopped instantly. I tipped the head unit back, gave it a shake, and the wings and charred body of a moth fell out, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts