Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone agree that the WRX turning radius sucks and knows why?

It seems to suck, but maybe that's just because I'm comparing it to my old tiny CRX. It seems to turn like a much bigger car and I'd think the turning radius would be better since it's McPherson struts suspension and not limited by double-wishbone suspension.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was a valet at Ed Bozarth Chevrolet for a couple months. Putting anything into 4-Lo or 4-Hi not only activated all four wheels, but also allowed it to become a huge rolling thing that you could only suggest where to turn. I know it's not how they were meant to turn, but it was just horrible. Plus, the trucks just weren't that great in 2-Hi... I think. I really don't remember much of anything.

I find the WRX's turning radius to be just fine, but then again I forget what the Hyundai Accent could do, and it's been the smallest car I've driven.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that 4WD mode makes SUVs turning radius suck, but that is because they are normally RWD and when you activate 4WD, the front wheels turning angle is limited.

But I'm comparing the WRX to other FWD cars which already have their drivetrain to the front wheels, so it should not be any worse.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, it wasn't the greatest comparison in the world, but it was the only one I could throw out at one o'clock.

Here's my pathetic attempt at a more intelligent response so I don't make myself a Subaru outcast in the community.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't any worse or any better than the FWD Hyundai. But I thought the AWD wasn't for turning but more for grabbing onto the road? I imagine if you added more speed you would find the AWD is nicer, at least with a rear-sway bar, or a decent alignment. I'm not sure though, I'm just scratching the surface on what modifications help what, and how useful they are.

·
Registered
95 Posts
turning radius

Gee....I always brag how good the turning radius is.....my last new car was a PT Cruiser (wife wanted it) and it had a t.r. of 42 FEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The WRX is 35.4 feet. Nuff said.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to be able to do a U-turn in front of my mailbox with my CRX, but not the WRX. Also haven't quite mastered the handbrake U-ee in the WRX when the road there is ice covered. I guess since the swing out is now much greater, I'm afraid of sliding the rear end into the mailboxes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's that thing they teach you in 8th grade English called? Do not state the obvious.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
WTypeRogerX said:
What's that thing they teach you in 8th grade English called? Do not state the obvious.
Huh? Weren't you comparing your old CRX with your WRX?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts