Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question hidding in another topic I just thought I should bring it out becuase it is kind of interesting, and I don't have the time to read through everything myself so maybe you guys can help.

"Can someone confirm that the owner's manual says nothing about idling the engine before turning it off? If the manual is silent, that would be interesting.
Also, does the manual require synthetic oil? True synthetic supposedly will not coke like standard dino oil, and if the manuf. requires synthetic, that may be one reason for the silence on this issue."

Can someone read through their owner's manual and shed some ligh on this subject?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The manual says NOTHING about idling the car for a turbo cool down and it doesn't mention using synthetic oils in the turbo models either. I think people are a little paranoid about their Subaru turbos. Having owned two other turbocharged Subarus I don't think the turbo cooldown is as critical since Subaru uses water-cooled turbochargers. I know turbo cool down is essential in non-water cooled turbos. I never had problems with my other cars (2 RX turbo sedans) and in those I ran dino oil. After running them hard on the highway I tried to avoid immediate shutdown but I never let them run for five minutes or longer. I am running Mobil 1 in my new WRX and try to let it idle for a little bit (about a minute) before shutdown. I feel a turbo timer seems rather unnecessary in my experience.

Punk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, that was my question hiding within an ancient (in bbs time) post.

If Suby turbos are water cooled, as opposed to oil cooled, that would be a reason why Suby does not recommend idling the car after hard driving. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts