ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as my title suggests, I am attempting to bring my 11 wrx sedan as close as I can to the performance/feel of a 11 Sti sedan!

Here is what i got so far.....

1. Whiteline 22mm swaybars (front/rear) w/ kartboy endlinks
2. kartboy short shifter with front/rear bushings and pivot bushing as well
3. r/a mudflaps
4. group n tranny/motor mounts
5. Whiteline rear subframe and rear diff inserts
6. Whiteline steering rack bushings
7. Cobb Stage 1 (have stock exhaust/downpipe/intake)
8. stock wheels

you think I'm almost there???:)

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
The Brembos and the 6 speed DCCD set the STi apart.

Just enjoy your WRX stock or modded a little at a time. :)

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I have most of the same mods you listed.They are parts that are available for the STI as well.

Like Saquatch said its the brakes,HP ,DCCD & suspension parts that set the STI apart.

But still those mods will make your WRX a lot better.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
not sure about 08+ but the 04-07 STis have different rear suspension set up, aluminum front lower control arms, your also missing the semi forged pistons in the engine block, the different cylinder heads, cam shafts, the turbo charger, intake manifold, intercooler, intercooler sprayer, HIDs, brembo brakes, r180 rear diff, locking front diff, dccd, 6 speed manual trans, interior bits, under body aero bits..

Youll never make your WRX an STi..

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Youll never make your WRX an STi..
^ This.. for the amount of money you'd have to spend.. you could have just bought an STI

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didnt mean literally guys!!!

guys, dont look into my commentary that literally!

yes, obviously the 6 speed tranny, dccd, and brembos, but again, were talking feel and performance, not part for part. I want my modded wrx to compare to a stock sti, not a modded one.

basically if the same driver were to take a stock 11' sti and perform

1. 0-60 and 1/4 mile
2. skidpad test
3. slalom
4. a timed lap around a proving ground type track

and then that same driver took my modded wrx and did same 4 tests, i would be happy if my car met those numbers that Sti posted. and if the driver commented that both cars felt similar, i would be satisfied.... regardless of whether I have 6 speeds and a dccd:) I apologize for not being this specific when I first posted.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
;) Stage 2, springs, sways, and sticky tires will put you damned close to there, if not there.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
It really saddens me that it comes down to this... Why isnt subaru posting bigger numbers in the STi yet? Its bull**** that the wrx got a power increase and every little nerd gets his hands on an accessport and thinks he can take me.. annoying!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Couldnt agree with you more torque about the Sti... It seems like they put so much time and energy into the wrx to make it all that it can be and just leave the Sti alone. When the wrx got the upgrade the Sti should have gotten one as well and should easily beat the wrx not just barely.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Modified vs modified is still hands down the STi is a better car in the long run, its just damn stupid that the wrx now a days is so close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh you are just a H8r lol :) . But no for real I agree with you ^^ the thing is I had drove an STI, Got the loan approval and was going to buy it. But than A good friend of mine educated me on the WRX's makeover and after driving a 2011 WRX it in no way was worth the extra money for the STI anymore. Honestly if you are going to to go all out as far as modding the car and making it your passion I would get the STI because its a more solid and user friendly tuner. But if you are like me and couldnt see paying all that money for a LITTLE extra umph and cornering capabilities and a silly diff adjustment nob that I litterally have no use for than the 2011 WRX is an answered prayer. As far as people getting their hands on accessports and thinking they are now in an STI.... Just remember its a 595 dollar mod anyone can do it and its skill level one **** so let them think they are cool. I personally am going to get my car dyno'd and tuned by a garage here in Hawaii just to give it the feel I am going for but I will always respect STI's for being my big brother. Since ive been so off topic I think your plans with your WRX as far as making it perform more like an STI sounds like a pretty good direction to go in just make sure you do plenty of research (which it seems you already have) and good luck modding *2011 WRX FTW!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
It isnt just a silly little adjustment knob.. If the car is in auto the diffs are full locked.. the drivetrain alone is by far better.. Im done arguing this fact... If you look at my current car list, past car list Im sure youd listen to what I have to say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey I was just giving my opinion on the two cars after having driven them both. I have no need to adjust the diff setting or put the car in cool, cooler, and coolest mode so I chose the WRX. In the end its your dinero so if you feel the need to get an STI its your deal. And im sure your current car list is pretty cool man but im not trying to compare lifes or engine parts. I just like Imprezas in general honestly so Happy modding my friends if you so chose to do so.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have done almost everthing to my WRX (AVO TMIC next) and it is close, but. But I do like it.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
stevess89 said:
Hey I was just giving my opinion on the two cars after having driven them both. I have no need to adjust the diff setting or put the car in cool, cooler, and coolest mode so I chose the WRX. In the end its your dinero so if you feel the need to get an STI its your deal.
The gap between WRX/STI has narrowed considerably in recent years. StageII, sticky tires, custom alignment, some driveline mounts/bushings, and some suspension mods, and your car can handle/accelerate like a stock STI.

That said, how much seat time did you have in the STI? I never take my DCCD out of Auto mode during DD duty, but it's nice to have that option when I'm out for fun runs in the snow/gravel.

·
Registered
475 Posts
guys, dont look into my commentary that literally!

yes, obviously the 6 speed tranny, dccd, and brembos, but again, were talking feel and performance, not part for part. I want my modded wrx to compare to a stock sti, not a modded one.

basically if the same driver were to take a stock 11' sti and perform

1. 0-60 and 1/4 mile
2. skidpad test
3. slalom
4. a timed lap around a proving ground type track

and then that same driver took my modded wrx and did same 4 tests, i would be happy if my car met those numbers that Sti posted. and if the driver commented that both cars felt similar, i would be satisfied.... regardless of whether I have 6 speeds and a dccd:) I apologize for not being this specific when I first posted.

not sure on the rest but 0-60 the wrx is quicker from the 5 speed. being Said I have drove a few STI's of local members in my area dn they have drove my wrx and we are all pretty much agree that the sti sispsension isn't much better, the wheel size imo makes it better, both are still too soft.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you're Just street driving get the wrx and put 3k in engine mods and you'll spank sti's all day long. Unless they are heavily modded as well

1 - 20 of 202 Posts