Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TurboXS On Otherwise Stock WRX

- Tried this post on i-club, but thought I'd give another try here -

Just wanted to find any opinions from TurboXS Unichip customers that have otherwise stock WRX's. Did you find the investment in the TXS-UC worthwhile? What were your impressions after installation? Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm seriously looking into this mod.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's going to work if that's what your asking. I don't have a unichip or a stock car, but tuning is basically a matter of altering fueling, timing, and in the case of the WRX, boost.

Lean out the fuel when it's rich, and you get more HP, advance the timing when it can, and you'll get more HP, and obviously, increase the boost for more HP. Each of these does have it's limits, where it becomes dangerous to increase timing, lean out the fuel, or increase the boost any more.

Unichip works by altering those variables. The TurboXS stage one is only the unichip, an air filter, and a cat-back exhaust. I'll argue that the filter doesn't do anything, and the cat back is very minimal (0-5hp maybe). So, the majority of your gains with the stage 1 are coming largely from the unichip.

Also arguable is that on a stock car, you'll get most of the gains simply by increasing the boost. You'll probably see about 15-18hp per PSI increase. Bumping a stock car to 15.5 psi will give you a nice HP increase at peak in addition to boost coming on quicker and lasting longer.

jb

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you get a unichip do you still need to have a MBC or EBC? I am assuming the unichip ups the boost some, but if you wanted to change the boost more or less you would also need some sort of boost controller. Is this corect? Also if you do need a boost controler which one would work best in this situation?

Bryan

·
Registered
932 Posts
KanosWRX said:
If you get a unichip do you still need to have a MBC or EBC?
Bryan
The TurboXS Unichip comes with a bleed valve that will allow you to control boost levels in so far as rasing boost when the ECU brings it down, especially in hot / humid weather. The Shiv Unichip, FWIK, comes with a manual boost controller mostly to control boost spikes.

But yes, many do use MBCs or EBCs in conjunction with the Unichip with good results. But you don't HAVE to have one. I have the new updated T-XS stage 1 and I haven't seen any of the prior boost spike problems thus far. The only time I had was in second gear when the engine wasn't fully warmed up. And this happened whie it was stock as well.

You can use an MBC with the TurboXS chip, and it will raise boost in 1st and 2nd gear, whereas the chip limits boost in the first two gears just like the stock ECU for longevity. I know SGOSWRX has done this and really likes the results. I'm an old guy who's overly concerned about reliability, so I didn't even install the T-XS bleed valve. I figure if the ECU is lowering boost on hot days, it's doing so for a damn good reason.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bedabi said:

The TurboXS Unichip comes with a bleed valve that will allow you to control boost levels in so far as rasing boost when the ECU brings it down, especially in hot / humid weather. The Shiv Unichip, FWIK, comes with a manual boost controller mostly to control boost spikes.

But yes, many do use MBCs or EBCs in conjunction with the Unichip with good results. But you don't HAVE to have one. I have the new updated T-XS stage 1 and I haven't seen any of the prior boost spike problems thus far. The only time I had was in second gear when the engine wasn't fully warmed up. And this happened whie it was stock as well.

You can use an MBC with the TurboXS chip, and it will raise boost in 1st and 2nd gear, whereas the chip limits boost in the first two gears just like the stock ECU for longevity. I know SGOSWRX has done this and really likes the results. I'm an old guy who's overly concerned about reliability, so I didn't even install the T-XS bleed valve. I figure if the ECU is lowering boost on hot days, it's doing so for a damn good reason.
So please, tell me more about your thoughts of installing the TXS-UC alone. I'm like you in that I want performance AND longevity. I don't want to play around with boost levels (not yet anyway) just a simple plug and play for me. Please write a small review and be specific as to your thoughts, what you experienced and if you were happy with the results.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.