ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading the posts, it seems like everyone believes that a new up-pipe is "the way to go". If up-pipes are so terrific, why doesn't the TurboXS stage 2 kit use one?

I am not trying to bait anyone, but really just looking for knowledge. Here in SoCal, the smog police are real, and I would like to keep the stock up-pipe unless there is real evidence that TurboXS is on the wrong track with their stage 1 & 2 systems.

I have played the game of swapping out a complete engine every two years and it sucks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
there is still stage 3 perhaps 4, 5, and six....I'm hoping stage 3 will be and uppipe, new turbo and may be injectors and a fuel pump to boot. The recipe is already done but the smog thing is not. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

i-club had a guy already having problem with the smog check at idel but there was another person with a fix...I haven't heard any followup since though...oh well..

BlueMax

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
The Turbo XS Stage 1 and 2 kits don't include an uppipe because thay are relatively difficult to install. Unfortunately, the pre-turbo cat is THE BIGGEST flow restriction in the WRX exhaust.

Basically, it's easier to bolt on a cat back that install an uppipe.

BTW, I don't subscribe to the performance kit BS. I'd rather take advantage of all the different aftermarket products to build the fastest WRX I possibly can.

-Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to think the same way about the whole performance kit thing too. But if you look at all the different kits out there, the Turbo XS is a REAL performance kit. It gives you as much HP as a turbo back exhaust and chip can. So I would go with a Turbo XS before I went with anyone else's.

·
4,769 Posts
Our performance kits give you an uppipe. I think it's crucial for performance gain on either a stock or aftermarket turbo. I think Turbo XS wants to focus on easily installed power which rules out the uppipes (which is pretty difficult to install). Not to say that an uppipe doesn't work well with a Turbo XS stage II kit or any other "kit" for that matter. My kits use a Turbo XS Unichip. Compatibility is not an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since starting this thread, I have done a lot of websurfing about WRX mods. Like so many things, there are lots of compromises to be made.

Yesterday I ordered the TurboXS stage one kit. The reason for my decision was based on smog regulations. With the uppipe, I would be required to remove it for smog inspections (every two years in CA). Another compromise I made was to stay with the stock muffler to keep the sound levels down. The folks at TurboXS said the stock muffler will only cost a few HP.

As I get more comfortable with the WRX and the TurboXS kit, I may extend my compromise limits and add the more troublesome but higher performance mods. I would probably just skip stage 2 and go directly to stage 3.

Thanks for the inputs to my questions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does an uppipe really fail you from the emissions test in CA? is it if they see it or do your emissions become to high?

·
Registered
238 Posts
yep, the removal of even one cat should put you passed the emissions test limits. But i think i heard somewhere that you can remove all but one and still be ok. i think it just depends on which state you live in and the severity of the strictness.

---RaCinWRX

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In California, there are two tests. The first is a visual inspection to verify that all of the emissions stuff is in place, the second is a tail pipe test with a sniffer. If you don't pass the visual, they don't even bother doing the tail pipe test.

We also have random testing, where a portable smog test station is placed beside the road and cars are pulled over for testing. I have never been selected for the test, but see the roadside stations frequently. :(

·
2,472 Posts
Sunkist said:
Does an uppipe really fail you from the emissions test in CA? is it if they see it or do your emissions become to high?
i think its because of the visual test. the WRX is rated a low emissions vehicle, so even w/ 1 or 2 cats gone, its still making less smog than an SUV or truck, for example

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can't 'skip' stage 2 and go to 3 :) Each stage builds on the last. Since you have 1 and want to go to 3 you need the parts from 2.

And stage 4 is the one with injectors and pump. :D

Erik
self assembled Stage 4 ;)

·
2,472 Posts
Si2WRX said:
You can't 'skip' stage 2 and go to 3 :) Each stage builds on the last. Since you have 1 and want to go to 3 you need the parts from 2.

And stage 4 is the one with injectors and pump. :D

Erik
self assembled Stage 4 ;)
wait, you have a "stage 4" and yet your profile says u run 13.8..whats up with that? shouldn't u be low 13s even 12s if you have done that much to your car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts