ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this transmission worth the money, I was jus wondering how much it would change my powerband. Im plannin on savin for it and then gettin a turbo after...any opinions? Any other transmission that you would reccommend over this one?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do u mean? I dont know much about transmissions so any info you could give me would be great. Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I don't know a lot about them either, so someone please correct me if this is wrong... Dogboxes don't have synchros, do they? I think you have to double-clutch/match RPMs whenever you shift.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The dog box is designed to be raced and not daily driven. The Gearing is set to slip right into gear when you are at the top of the powerband then shift fast. If you shift slow you will not RPM match and grind gears. However, the Gears in a Dog Box are so strong this doesn't cause much damage other than sound nasty and scare the piss outta you. Dog boxes are also very uncomfortable for daily driving as they are extremely noisy. There is a constant whine of the teeth. If you want to race only with your car then they are great. However, they are not very streetable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What transmission would you guys reccommend, I want a better powerband and a higher top end and I dont want to have to worry about it fallin apart on me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Bubis said:
What transmission would you guys reccommend, I want a better powerband and a higher top end and I dont want to have to worry about it fallin apart on me. Any suggestions?
I would recomment the STI RA gearset. It is really great in terms of keeping the car int it's powerband. Only negative is it's not as strong as some of the aftermarket gears and it's 5th gear is very high so at 70 mph you're at like 4k rpms I think..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Definitly STI RA.! It is stronger than stock.

And unless your putting out nutty power...you wont need anything stronger. But if you are going to go crazy on power, the streetable option would be the Kaaz gearset. first-third is straight cut so it will be a lil whiny, but it has syncros so you can drive it easily.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Not sure about pricing but wanted to mention that I am pretty sure Kaaz doesn't make a gearset anymore. I know that XXTuning has or had PAR gearsets in stock.

The only other option that I know of is the RA which sounds like it is plenty for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude!!!

I dont know about any of these other guys but I own a Turbo XS dog box and It was the best investment I ever made! I am a pretty hard launcher so I need something beefy in the trans. I broke Five trans and yes one of them was the ra gear set. If you are looking for the last tras youll need to buy under 600hp. The TXS Dog Box is it!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I dont know about any of these other guys but I own a Turbo XS dog box and It was the best investment I ever made! I am a pretty hard launcher so I need something beefy in the trans. I broke Five trans and yes one of them was the ra gear set. If you are looking for the last tras youll need to buy under 600hp. The TXS Dog Box is it!
Good to know, good first post... however, you bumped a 6 year old thread. :thumbup:

·
Registered
406 Posts
TurboXS sells PPG gears, so that is what you're getting when you buy one of their transaxels or kits. PPG makes great stuff.

Personally I think a dog box is a bad idea for a daily driver. PPG makes synchronized kits with stronger gears and/ or straight cut gears for part of the box and not the rest, etc. You can still use your stock 5th to maintain highway cruising too, and 5th gear should never really be loaded hard so breakage isn't much of a consideration. If you launch hard get a synchonized kit with straight cut 1st and 2nd. The downside to straight cut gears is that they whine something fierce. By using them on 1st and 2nd only you get the strength advantage, but keep helical gears for 3rd, 4th, and 5th to maintain your sanity since those are the gears you spend the most time in.

Yes, synchronizers will wear out eventually, but so will a dog gear set. The lugs and sliders do eventually wear out, and replacement is the only option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts