Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been whining for the longest time, and have written countless posts about my disgust on not having enough mufflers that mate up to the TurboXS Stealth back exhaust system. I want to run 3" pipe all the way to the back of the car. As many of you know, the current design of the TurboXS turboback exhaust only allows you to run a 2.5" axle back section. Last night I was made aware by BoosteBoxer, that TurboXS now sells a 3" Cat-back T 304 Adaptor Pipe to mate any cat back exhaust you can get. On TurboXS' website, there is a description for the cat back adaptor as follows:

http://www.turboxs.com/WRX Exhaust.htm

NEW! TurboXS DP with 3" Cat-back T 304 Adaptor Pipe $488

I couldn't find just the adaptor pipe sold seperatly. Has anyone else found this piece on the site or anywhere else. I am VERY interested in it, and want to buy it right away. I sent an email to Mark from TurboXS about it, but of course its Friday and TurboXS is off until Monday. Someone please help me out with some info.

I need my 3" Turboback exhaust to be complete.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
im guessing you are not looking for loud, and a stock looking tip. The hks has a slanted muffler like mine, and is fairly loud so you might not like it.
Greddy EVO is quiet and has a fairly stock looking tip- that might be one you want to look into.

www.schmidtopolis.com/ryan/Vids/greddy.mpg <--right click save as. Thats a video of txs DP with greddy evo cat back.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Sure, don't read my posts!!

Here's a pic of the race pipe and catback adapter pipe next to each other :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
swipe112 said:
I'm a little confused. So with the adaptor race pipe, u can now connect it to 3" axlebacks?? But I thought the EVO was a cat back.
You can connect it to 3" CAT backs... not axlebacks...

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RLsChMiDt said:
Sure, don't read my posts!!

Here's a pic of the race pipe and catback adapter pipe next to each other :)

Thanks for the pics Ryan. So you have to weld a O2 bung on it in order to use a rear O2 sensor? It doesn't come with an O2 sensor bung welded on?

Corey,

I may just go ahead and by a catback regardless of how loud it is. I tried to make it fairly quiet, and looked what happened when I bought the Flowmaster muffler. Nice and quiet, with too much backpressure and a loss of power. I am now interested in MAX POWER. If I am going to spend my money on a whole cat back, I want to pull every drop of horsepower out of my exhaust system.

I really like the look of the new Perrin 2 tip cat back exhaust, but I don't want to spend $700 for a catback. I may also look into the Stromung twin tip muffler, or just go for the melon shooter look. I haven't decided yet.

·
Banned
968 Posts
You dont have to have an 02 sensor bung welded on, its comes with one. Ryan had Dan @ Godspeed weld his a certain way though, he told me but I forgot.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mili727 said:
You dont have to have an 02 sensor bung welded on, its comes with one. Ryan had Dan @ Godspeed weld his a certain way though, he told me but I forgot.
Yeah I had Dan weld it in a little different spot then normal because of the bad winters and such here. It comes with one, but it will still throw a CEL. Give Dan @ godspeed a ring and let him know you want the O2 sensor bung that doesn't throw a CEL welded on.:) You will probably have to buy the catback from him too, he doesn' t like to sell the catback adapters seperately. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was under the impression the the TXS Stealthback replaces the 3rd cat, thus leaving you with the stock axle back. You can then purchase whatever axle back you want (or keep the stock one). How would an "additional adapter pipe" allow you to mate to a cat-back?? Does this adapter replace the race pipe (or high-flow cat section?) I'm just trying to figure out how the stealthback would allow you to use a catback vs an axleback... just doesn't seem like there would be enough room for a catback...

Maybe it will just allow for a 3" axelback?? I have no idea... lol :) Maybe someone else more knowledgeable could clarify this.

·
Banned
968 Posts
sdwrx said:
I was under the impression the the TXS Stealthback replaces the 3rd cat, thus leaving you with the stock axle back. You can then purchase whatever axle back you want (or keep the stock one). How would an "additional adapter pipe" allow you to mate to a cat-back?? Does this adapter replace the race pipe (or high-flow cat section?) I'm just trying to figure out how the stealthback would allow you to use a catback vs an axleback... just doesn't seem like there would be enough room...
TXS Stealthback replaces everything up to the axle back.

The exhaust goes 4" to 3" to 2.5 (Catback and axle back).

Most after market axle backs are 3.0" , while you would need something that is 2.5" to mate to the Stealthback.

The race pipe and cat back adapter pipe are both 3", but if you notice the difference in lenth youll see the cat back adapter pipe is shorter. The Cat back adapter pipe indeed replaces the race pipe, only diffrence is length.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mili727 said:
The Cat back adapter pipe indeed replaces the race pipe, only diffrence is length.
Gotcha... that makes sense now... Sounds like if you go that route, then you would definitley have no option for a high flow cat? Isn't that the one of the main reasons to by the TXS setup?

·
Banned
968 Posts
sdwrx said:
Gotcha... that makes sense now... Sounds like if you go that route, then you would definitley have no option for a high flow cat? Isn't that the one of the main reasons to by the TXS setup?
Correct. TXS' hi flow cat is located on a pipe that would replace the Race Pipe or Cat Back Adapter Pipe.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Karl-do you want the stock look? if not and you like the sound of my exhaust, pick up the race pipe, turbo xs midpipe and rfl-ti muffler. Its as straight through as it gets.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
Karl-do you want the stock look? if not and you like the sound of my exhaust, pick up the race pipe, turbo xs midpipe and rfl-ti muffler. Its as straight through as it gets.
I am not sure what I want. I like the look of the Stromung and Perrin twin tip mufflers, and they are catbacks with 3" piping. I just wonder about their flow rates compared to the melon shooter exhausts. Plus, the twin tip mufflers won't attract as much attention to California officers as would big Melon Shooter exhaust tips.:p

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
havent had any problem with my mellon shooter yet:D but you are right. I might pick up a prodrive to switch back and forth for when i get sick of it.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
I am not sure what I want. I like the look of the Stromung and Perrin twin tip mufflers, and they are catbacks with 3" piping. I just wonder about their flow rates compared to the melon shooter exhausts. Plus, the twin tip mufflers won't attract as much attention to California officers as would big Melon Shooter exhaust tips.:p
The Perrin is a straight-through exhaust, so I doubt the flow will be too much different than just one big tip. I'm not sure about the Stromung though. The Perrin will be louder than the Stromung, but the Stromung has a deeper tone (as opposed to the raspy Perrin) :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Isn't the new Turbo XS RFL axleback section 3"?

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

So I bought a Stromung 3" Dual Tip cat back from raazin, a member here. I waited and waited and finally my TXS Cat Back Adaptor Pipe came in to the shop. THANKS MPJPERFORMANCE. I installed everything yesterday and I have a few things to say.

First of all, the TXS Cat Back Adaptor fits perfect. The O2 sensor is a little more forward toward the front of the car, but makes no difference in placement. All the bolts and such went in perfect.

The Stromung 3" Catback is VERY WELL MADE. They did their homework in the fitment department. I did not have to struggle getting the hangers on or anything. Fitment was perfect!

I got all the old exhaust(TXS racepipe, TXS midpipe, and OBX muffler) off and the new TXS Catback Adaptor Pipe and Stromung 3" catback on in about an hour.

The sound of the Stromung is by far the best sounding muffler I have every heard on a Boxer motor. It sounds so good at low rpms. And at WOT, it just growls.

I wish TurboXS would have made the Stealth Back exhaust 3" all the way out. After installing the 3" catback to my TXS downpipe, my car has WOKEN UP!! It feels strong everywhere in the torque band now. I got squirrely this morning in the wet, and it suprised me.

Now I am ready for dyno time, and then the dragstrip.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't know if any of you got to read my review of the TurboXS cat back adaptor, so I am BUMPing it up.

I will be going to the dyno this Wednesday. Hopefully my first baseline test will prove my butt dyno theory that this TXS catback adaptor and the 3" full turboback now makes more power.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts