Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I heard a lot of good and bad stuff about both the VF30 and PE1818 turbos. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me which turbo will give me better performance between the two. OR if anyone heard of a better turbo that can out perform these two let me know about them also.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
cobb is coming out with a turbo thats supposed to be really nice..SR series...

http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/turbos.html

thats the info for it...

with a SR30 turbo MAXIM manifold fmic injectors and a nice port job that should maybe put you around 360 whp

just check out that link, a lot of useful info on the my02 upgrades that are available/on the way

·
1,911 Posts
The 1818F will outflow the VF30 easily. It can push over 425 hp no problem. With the proper supporting mods, 400 HP is possible on pump fuel. I like it because at about the time you max it out you have also maxed out the block, trans and flow of the stock heads/cams. To go bigger requires a LOT of money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info but I have a couple other questions.
I was seriously considering the PE1818 but I was wondering if the fuel system would have to be upgraded in order for it to function properly. If yes, what fuel components need to be upgraded and is a Front Mount required or can I stick with the factory engine mount?

Thanks againg

·
Registered
59 Posts
the rex being new..its kind of virgin territory, but I would play it safe...while the engine is out you might as well get a set of STi injectors , fuel pump , ecu , and a FMIC with a good tune job.

·
1,911 Posts
Actually you'll get a big gain with just the turbo and some tuning. I got 315 hp or 251 whp. It maxed out my fuel system at this point. It was about 15.5 PSI. To get more you'll have to upgrade the injectors/pump and retune. You'll get around 280 whp no problem at around 17.5-18 PSI with stock intercooler. If you add a front mount intercooler you'll get over 300 whp no problem at 19 PSI (I got 311.5). With a Maxim Works exhaust manifold I hope to hit over 330 whp which is over 400 HP at the crank on pump fuel (93 octane). There is no need to remove engine, or even intake manifold to do any of this. I think the most labor intensive part was the uppipe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything sounds good,
But I have a question for you God. When upgrading the injectors/pump what do you recommend with the PE1818 turbo. I hear the STI injectors will do the trick, if there is something better on the market what is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Perfect that's exactly what I needed to know.
Do you know where I can get a detailed description of the PE1818 turbo (example:- what rpm it spools? etc....)

One more thing, do you know where I can buy an upgraded ECU chip or have my factory ECU reprogrammed?

Thanks

·
1,911 Posts
Sure. Here's my dyno chart and another comparing the 1818F to the 1820F (not on the same car). It gives you an idea on spool up and power curve shape. I'll soon have even more power.

The blue line is the stock WRX chart.

Here you can see how the 1818F spools up faster but the 1820 has more tope end area under the curve. Peak power is same same on both.

·
Registered
59 Posts
God, this is the setup i've been thinking about for my rex..

STi injectors, 1818F now that you've convinced me originally i wanted a SR30 or 40 from Cobb, maxim manifold, pe pump, unichip, custom exhaust..fmic

any changes or suggestions?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it possible to get away w/ this turbo or any other like a vf22 or vf23 on a stock ECU, if you keep the boost down

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmm, I was thinking about getting a Mines computer from a friend in Japan...would that work with the us my02 i mean its the same thing...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks God,
I think I'm going with the PE1818, I was just wondering where I could either buy an upgraded ECU or have my factory ECU reprogrammed.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts