Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I've got a major turbo upgrade for my WRX pretty soon. The turbos I've decided on is the HKS GT3037 and the IHI VF34. I've read about two or three cars with the HKS turbo and heard nothing but good results. I produces high amounts of HP but with almost zero lag. The new issue of Sport Compact Car with the Sparco WRX in the Utimate Street Car Challenge uses the HKS turbo: "The GT3037, for those of you that have been living somewhere in the great state of Utah, is perhaps the most sought-after 2.0-liter street turbo in existence. Known for its immediate response and ability to make huge power, this is no ordinary air pump." The VF34 on the hand, I've read about only one car with this turbo. I know the VF34 is used in the STi TypeRA Spec C and it spools faster than the VF30 but that's about it. If anyone has experience with these turbos I'd appreciate your help :)

These are the intake/exhaust mods I'll be using with the turbo:
STi Intake Manifold (for the looks :D )
MRT Uppipe
MRT Downpipe w/ Hi-Flow Cat
Fujitsubo Legalis Super R Cat-Back Exhaust
Greddy Airinx Intake System
Greddy FMIC
Greddy Type-S BOV

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I dream of having a 3037 on my car. It is the perfect turbo (at least until someone develops a better one)! The only problem you'll run into, besides the rather large price difference, is the fact that the 3037 will not bolt up to your current exhaust setup. You'll need custom pipes, up and down. So, on top of about 2x the price for the actual turbo, you're looking at another couple hundred for the new pipes, more if you go stainless. For either turbo, you'll also need something serious to manage fuel and ignition. You'll also have to go beyond STi injectors to keep up with the 3037. The PE 650 or 800 injectors would fit the bill. I'm not sure which would be better.

Just so I can live vicariously through you, I'm going to say go with the 3037. Will you let me drive it? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hehe.....my secret....my cousin owns a small tuning shop here in Chicago. I get most of my parts 40% off and free installation :D Wow....sounds like the GT3037 needs a lot of work. Why wouldn't the uppipe and downpipes work with the HKS setup?? I thought MRT's products were designed to work with most of the turbo upgrades out there?? I've got the fuel management system worked out already too....AEM ECU and STi injectors. I'm not planning to go beyond 320-330HP too. Hehe..........I'm doing a lot of research right now on parts for my Rex....I really appreciate your help!!

·
1,911 Posts
Yep the 3037 is awesome but don't expect it to have less lag than the VF34. It's a BIG turbo. You'll also need an external wastegate but they are not too expensive. I only use Tial wastegates. They are excellent. 3037 is probably about twice the price of the VF34 or close to it. All the piping has to be custom fabbed and you'll probably need a new inlet pipe as well since the inlet of the 3037 is WAY to big to be situated where it is and will not fit the stock turbo inlet hose anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So the VF34 is more responsive?? I'm planning to use the car more street/autox and fighting off the local ricers :D

O yea....what do you guys think of the HKS Hipermax 2s?? Heard they performed great (as well as if not better than Tein RAs) with the F 7kg and R 5kg progressive springs that it comes with.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I sometimes have to wonder where you guys get your 'choices" from: you cannot get two different turbos than an HKS 3037 and a VF34.....its like comaring an IS300 to an M5.

Take a step back for asecond..how much are you willing to spend, what mods are done or are planned, etc. There are bolt on varients of the Garrett 3037 (its a Garret GT that is branded by HKS) that run around $1800.00. They have internal astegates, and are true bolt ons for your WRX. However, to make the most from them, you would want at least the STi injectors (PE 650cc units would be better though), a front mount, clutch, turbo bak exhaust and engine management, etc.

Contact us outside of this thread for more info, and start doing somer earch on these turbos..for the money you will be spending, you should be informed, which is what this board is all about!

Adam
www.z1auto.com

·
1,911 Posts
crazy_wrx said:
So the VF34 is more responsive?? I'm planning to use the car more street/autox and fighting off the local ricers :D

O yea....what do you guys think of the HKS Hipermax 2s?? Heard they performed great (as well as if not better than Tein RAs) with the F 7kg and R 5kg progressive springs that it comes with.
I agree. comparing those two turbos is not really comparing two alike products whatsoever. Tein is the leader in suspension in Japan. I have used their products for about 5 years now and have always been extremely happy with their performance. I last used RA setup with a 6/5 spring rate and was more than pleased with it's compromise of ride quality and superb handling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So should I use the VF34 instead?? The custom fabs are scaring me away from the GT3037. Z-1 mentioned the Garret 3037 which is like the HKS but it could bolt in easy to the WRX but since it's the a big turbo does anyone know the spool up time on the GT3037 or the VF34?? Or should I wait till the redesigned STi twin-scroll turbos to start appearing on the market??

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The twin scroll will require new piping too. It has two separate exhaust inlets each for two cylinders. You'd need a new manifold and uppipe. The VF-34 would be the easiest way to go. But the 3037.... *drooool*

Adam....I haven't seen a bolt-on 3037 yet. Can you provide a link?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
:eek:

:D :D :D

Darn, right after my VF30 shows up on the stoop. :D

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hey Adam. Think you could stick one of these in my car? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Those turbos are gigantic!! Talk about lag......your Rex wouldn't even get up to boost till redline.....lol!! Thanks for your help guys.....I think I'm going with the VF34. Less money and work to put it in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
crazy_wrx said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Those turbos are gigantic!! Talk about lag......your Rex wouldn't even get up to boost till redline.....lol!! Thanks for your help guys.....I think I'm going with the VF34. Less money and work to put it in.
So are the Hybrid T04 turbos I've mention.
For around $850, they cost less then most of the IHI V' series turbo and its a direct bolt-on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts