ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the differences between these three.

I understand that the TBE is a full exhaust essentially, I have a COBB 3' Catback, (might be 3.5 I gotta check)

I'm in the market for a downpipe of sorts this christmas.

I live in Northern AZ & California (college student) so passing emissions would be a plus, as would passing inspection.

I would totally go Catless if I didn't need to deal with living in Cali, passing emissions, etc. (Or I'd just buy a Dummy Cat)

I was looking at a Bellmouth Catted Stealthback, but I don't quite know the difference between a Downpipe and Stealthback, all I had ever considered was a TBE or CBE & DP.

Can someone please clarify.

If this is something thats stickied that I missed please link me to it and I'll delete this topic.

Cheers.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Usually a stealthback is where you use a aftermarket downpipe and a factory cbe or a spt (factory option) cat back exhaust. That way from the rear and sound wise the car looks/feels factory or close to.

In regards to the dp though.. there's no reason not to go catted. That said, and especially that you have to deal with emissions, you definitely want to check and make sure that aftermarket cats CAN pass inspection where you'll be operating/registering the car.

Lastly, you didn't mention any tuning coupled with changing the down pipe. Its not exactly going to explode as soon as you turn the key or anything but you really should get the car tuned or use some sort of tuning method to match the new exhaust flow/restriction decrease.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually a stealthback is where you use a aftermarket downpipe and a factory cbe or a spt (factory option) cat back exhaust. That way from the rear and sound wise the car looks/feels factory or close to.

In regards to the dp though.. there's no reason not to go catted. That said, and especially that you have to deal with emissions, you definitely want to check and make sure that aftermarket cats CAN pass inspection where you'll be operating/registering the car.

Lastly, you didn't mention any tuning coupled with changing the down pipe. Its not exactly going to explode as soon as you turn the key or anything but you really should get the car tuned or use some sort of tuning method to match the new exhaust flow/restriction decrease.
Yeah I'd never run it without a tune. I have a AP, and I'll be using COBB stage 2 until I upgrade to TP Stage 2 (torqued performance) as I really like their stage 1 map.

Why wouldnt I go catted though? my buddy was telling me its my only option to stay legal.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
some people seem to think the cat is a huge restriction and that its bad for the car and blah blah blah.. unless you're looking to make over 400whp (which is far more than any street car ever needs) its not even going to become a factor.

Reason why people go catless aside of above.. they're usually much cheaper. Like half the cost. So the excuses I've listed above are usually to cover up for someone cheaping out and not wanting to admit it ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some people seem to think the cat is a huge restriction and that its bad for the car and blah blah blah.. unless you're looking to make over 400whp (which is far more than any street car ever needs) its not even going to become a factor.

Reason why people go catless aside of above.. they're usually much cheaper. Like half the cost. So the excuses I've listed above are usually to cover up for someone cheaping out and not wanting to admit it ;)
Okay so I just talked to a buddy, and I wont need to get my car Emissions tested in AZ until 2014, and I can just swap pipes. So I think I might go catless and get a dummy Cat since I'll be in California on breaks and stuff.

Also, I think i need to register my car in Arizona, and get Arizona plates since I've been living in AZ for more than 30 days.

(this is good because then I wont get **** in the mail requiring me to get smoged every year like in Cali plus AZ plates will justify my window tint)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts