ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. Subbie fans. I got a 05 sti tmic. 3inch downpipe hks catback. Just want to know. Do i really need a tune for a 16g Turbo direct bolt on. Just lil bigger then my stock vf39 Turbo. Help me out . Do i really need a tune or not. The shop saids i do. But i think not. Help out plz.
e

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,224 Posts
Yes.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You need a tune. There are at least 4 different 16G applications for a Subaru. Small,big,EvoIII and 16G-XT. Not to mention two different turbine housing choices. You have which one?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
To answer your question, yes, you definitely need to tune for it. That said, don't expect that turbo to last long, spool quick, or make much power. eBay turbos have horrible reputations for not performing and failing quickly. I would at least check your oil every time you get ready to drive somewhere so that if your turbo is spewing oil at least it might not ruin your engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mainframe. thats a very scary answer ha. ill check oil often.

To answer your question, yes, you definitely need to tune for it. That said, don't expect that turbo to last long, spool quick, or make much power. eBay turbos have horrible reputations for not performing and failing quickly. I would at least check your oil every time you get ready to drive somewhere so that if your turbo is spewing oil at least it might not ruin your engine.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Ebay doesn't make turbos.........but I know what you mean.

OP-What brand of turbos was it? Let me guess...........Godspeed?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,224 Posts
Can i still run it without the tune.
Still? You never could.

?. And will it damage my motor? .
If you don't install it, no.
If you install it without remapping the car, probably.
If it fails, maybe.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Ebay doesn't make turbos.........but I know what you mean.

OP-What brand of turbos was it? Let me guess...........Godspeed?

Yeah, I was just referring to the numerous knock off Chinese made turbos that pop up on eBay. Who knows what they're going to call them, they're all basically the same.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
This thread scares me.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
I have a feeling there is going to be a blown 05 STI for sale in the near future. So sad :(

Bottom line in my opinion, don't install that turbo. If you do, just get it tuned! At least you would lessen your chance for blowing your motor.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
fastwayracer 16G turbo for Subaru....... $285.
02-07 Subaru Impreza WRX TD05 16G Turbo Charger - FastWayRacer.Com

I wouldn't use that as a paperweight. Get a refund before you install it... ad buy a reputable brand.

And yes..... you need to get tuned properly.
Woah, just looked at the link. That is absolute garbage, at least half of the description doesnt make sense.

Please OP, return it and get your money back and save up for a reputable turbo.. or invest the $$ in something else useful.
And yes, like everyone has been saying, if your changing to a different turbo then stock, you will need a tune.
You also mentioned that you have a turbo-back exhaust.... are you tuned for that as well or running stock map?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
@ donkey. I bought it from eBay. Turbo call gda gdb. From seller fastwayracer.
It's junk. Toss it on your desk as a really expensive paper weight

1 - 20 of 21 Posts