ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the TXS stealthback I'm not sure what you are hearing is the turbo whistle. I get the whistle between 1000-2800 rpms then it fades out and blends into the exhaust note. I've checked for exhaust leaks with a lit match and didn't find any. I also used plenty of muffler cement just in case. I wanted to find exactly where the whistle is coming from so I layed under my car while my wife blipped the throttle. I could hear the whistle in the rear section of the midpipe and somewhat in the front section of my Prodrive axelback. I do not believe what you are hearing is the turbo. I think it is just exhaust noise. If it was indeed the turbo then wouldn't the sound be coming from the turbo instead of the rear section of the exhaust? This whistle has been driving me crazy because most of my driving is done in rush hour stop and go traffic next to those concrete barrier walls which amplify the sound. Your feedback is welcome..............

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to wrx country. Most exhausts (if not all) will make that noise. I love it, think it sounds great. Kind of like VW Bug meets the terminator. :)

jb

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimb said:
Kind of like VW Bug meets the terminator. :)jb
Yes, that's exactly how I would describe it, like an oldschool VW Beetle. Is it due to the boxer engine design?

·
5,799 Posts
After fitting my TurboXS turboback the 'whistle' that I was hearing was definitely the stock turbo noises resonating in that huge bellmouth. When I swapped the TD04 for a VF30, much of the noise went away. Go figure. The 'whistle' has been present with every turbocharged car that I have driven or ridden in.

Shadow a big Kenworth next time you are on the Interstate.

-Pace

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pace said:
Shadow a big Kenworth next time you are on the Interstate.
-Pace
Yep, I've noticed that correlation as well. :)

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Agreed. That noise is completely normal (from my TurboXS stealth + Prodrive exhaust) and I LOVE it!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
BTW, I've heard that to lessen that noise one might consider wrapping the downpipe with Thermotec Header Wrap... Just a thought.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is2scooby said:
BTW, I've heard that to lessen that noise one might consider wrapping the downpipe with Thermotec Header Wrap... Just a thought.
Yep, I used DEI exhaust wrap on mine, it works very well. Not to sure about it muffling the whistle sound though.

·
5,799 Posts
SonicYellowWRX said:

probably cuz its spinning slower to produce the same amount of boost.

you want more noise though? strip the car... ;)
Well, not meaning to be pedantic but that will not produce more noise, rather it will just let more of it get through to the cabin. ;)

I think you may be correct about the turbo spinning more slowly.

-Pace

·
Registered
530 Posts
The whistle is pretty loud in my car. I can scare the old ladies walking their dogs in my neighborhood

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't have the TXS Stealth to compare with, buy my dad's 1999 NA Porsche 911 Cabrio has a whistlely sound ot it at lower RPM's, sounds sort of like a jet fighter taxiing for take off. Cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
The whistle's pretty loud with my HKS downpipe too, but I do get more fluttering from the wastegate (obviously). I love the sound though...it turns heads on the street :D

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
pace said:

Well, not meaning to be pedantic but that will not produce more noise, rather it will just let more of it get through to the cabin. ;)

-Pace
Whats the difference? It'll SOUND louder to you, wont it?? ;) Actually if you take off the lining under the hood, it probably would be louder for all to hear also.:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not going to worry about it if it's the general consensus of the exhaust. I just didn't want something that was making a strange noise if it wasn't supposed to. We installed the same system on cnoff's car and it made the same noise as mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts