Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Turbo XS stealthback exhaust on Saturday and wanted to post my impressions of the system. When I first unpacked the system I couldn't believe the size of the downpipe, it looks like something that belongs on a turbo diesel truck, huge! The quality of the exhaust was very nice, the welds were beautiful. I purchased the race pipe (catless) to go with my system along with the MIL eliminator from Pony Express to eliminate the CEL. Installation was simple, especially with two people. It took about two hours. My first impression after I started the car was, "wow, this thing is loud." I have the Prodrive muffler bolted on to the stealthback. I immediately thought I had an exhaust leak so I reinstalled the exhaust using muffler cement, but it was just the fact that the exhaust was opened up so much more and was more audible than before. I was surprised how much more the turbo can be heard, now I can hear the turbo whine in addition to the psssshhhhh sound as it spools up. I wrapped the downpipe with DEI exhaust wrap just to aid in containing the heat within the pipe. With the exhaust wrap in place I can actually touch the downpipe while it is hot without it burning my hand.

Test Drive:
I was amazed at the power increase down low. The car pulls like a freight train compared to stock. I'm sure it also gained some power up top but the most noticeable difference to me was down low, where the WRX really needs it. The exhaust really roars between 4000-6000 rpms, it sounds like a race car. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the sound of the Prodrive on the catless exhaust because it wasn't quite loud enough for me on the stock exhaust. Cruising on the highway, the exhaust is only slightly noticeable, no droaning at all. I expected the exhaust smell to be a lot stronger from having no cats but I really don't notice a difference. The car does pop occasionally during downshifts.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with both the performance and the sound improvements of the system, I would definitely buy it again. :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Cool. I was supposed to install mine on Saturday too, but I got lazy and ended up playing Perfect Dark all day instead. I'm splitting out of work early on Friday and getting started on it then. I hope to finish it up on Saturday. I'm installing my Godspeed uppipe and the TXS stealth system all at once. I'm expecting a pretty dramatic performance increase.

-Jim

·
Registered
166 Posts
OT:

Haha, when I got my HKS dp Friday I had been parked for 10 minutes and started working on it. Took me an hour and a half with a hot engine and a tricky o2 sensor... lots of fun, lemme tell ya ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts