Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done installing my Turbo XS manual boost controller. Install took about 20 minutes and another 10 minutes to get it dialed in. I have it set to about 16psi.

I used the mounting bracket that came with it, made a couple of minor bends in it, enlarged one of the mounting holes and mounted it off the far right (passenger side) front mounting bolt for the intercooler. That kept it nice and close to the turbo and allows easy adjustment since the adjusting screw is at the top (see photo below).

Holy cow! I cannot believe what a difference that one item can make in the way the power comes on. It now comes on at lower RPM's, pulls harder all the way to redline.

The old butt-dyno tells me I got a very good return for the money.

If you don't already have an MBC, go get one!

Matt:) :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice install. looks really clean. Is the bolt holding the bracket already existing ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
thats really nice lookin. were did you buy that matt, and how much was it?
thanks. jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it from TurboXS directly off their website (http://www.turboxs.com/ ). I believe you might be able to get it cheaper from other vendors though...

It cost me $79 plus $5 shipping. The bracket holding the MBC came with the MBC but it was straight. About 2 minutes and my bench mounted vise, I had it bent enought to allow clearance between the intercooler and the MBC. The bolt I used to mount the bracket is already there. I just had to drill out one of the existing holes on the mounting bracket so that the bolt would fit through it (1/4" drill bit I believe).

Hope that helps,
Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a piece of cake to adjust. Adjustments are made with an allen wrench (supplied with MBC). The adjusting screw is located in the recessed hole on the top of the MBC (gold screw only partially visible in the picture).

Screwing it in (clockwise) lowers the boost, screwing it out (counter clockwise) increases boost. Once adjusted, it appears that one full turn adjusts the boost psi about one pound.

A boost guage is a must before doing this. Damage can be done to the engine by setting the boost too high. I bought the factory Subaru column mounted guage and installed it myself. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have opted for another guage. The Subaru guage registers MPa, I would rather have one that registers psi. In the event you have/get the Subaru guage, there are charts on the net to help you convert MPa to psi.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just ordered. :D

Defi gauge in psi so Can set it up nice n easy to 16 psi. Hope it gets here by Friday so I can do it this Weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts