Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's here! Very nicely crafted Turbo XS Hyperflow top mount intercooler from down under. Bar and plate design. This thing is massive and heavier than stock. So big, the under hood ducting must be removed or at least modified. The 'kit' is complete and comes with y-pipe hoses (appear to be Samco, but are not branded) and a hose to replace the crankcase breather hard line. I already had Samco hoses, so the I/C to TB connection is blue as well.

It feels great on the car. Boost response is still as good as the oem I/C. The car feels better at low boost for some reason... maybe not stronger, but smoother.

Hopefully under full boost this helps me go 12s!

A few things to note: This contacts the A/C line because it's soo big. Simply sheilded it using a piece of rubber attached to the line. Also, the Blitz BOV contacts the hood slightly. Will work fine with the oem bypass valve. I will stick with the Blitz for the time being.

·
Registered
0 Posts
pace said:

The same as a Blitz FMIC, which for me makes it too much. It is a very nice looking unit though... let us know what it does to your times, Si.

-Pace
true but your comparing tmic to a fmic . thats alot of intercoller to put atop your engine. i just think its cool people are improving on the tmic. fmic has too long of hosing and cost soooo much to put in by the time you cut the crap out of your front bumper, and you most of the time lose your fog lights also:( short and simple is my point:) imo

·
2,210 Posts
jt money said:

true but your comparing tmic to a fmic . thats alot of intercoller to put atop your engine. i just think its cool people are improving on the tmic. fmic has too long of hosing and cost soooo much to put in by the time you cut the crap out of your front bumper, and you most of the time lose your fog lights also:( short and simple is my point:) imo
I guess my point is that you get a lot more (power and components) for your money with the FMIC. If given the choice of paying $950 for a proven FMIC (Blitz) or for a new TMIC, I'll take the front-mount.

The TurboXS is a very nice unit. But if it were a couple hundred bucks cheaper, I think they'd sell a whole bunch more units. Just my 2c. I know that I am not the only person disappointed with the pricing on this top-mount.

-Pace

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want a front mount because they really haven't proven much more than a top mount! :) I mean historically you really can't say one is better than another on the WRX. There's just not enough evidence to support one or the other. Besides, once you hack up your car for an fmic, you can't easily get the stuff back (fender for Blitz, bumper for any, as example). I can comment that a top mount drives much more responsively than a front mount.

What top mounts out there are cheaper than the TXS unit? Basically, all I/Cs for our cars are rediculously priced!

But hey, front mounts do look cool. I want one, but don't!

·
2,210 Posts
Si2WRX said:
I don't want a front mount because they really haven't proven much more than a top mount! :) I mean historically you really can't say one is better than another on the WRX. There's just not enough evidence to support one or the other. Besides, once you hack up your car for an fmic, you can't easily get the stuff back (fender for Blitz, bumper for any, as example). I can comment that a top mount drives much more responsively than a front mount.

What top mounts out there are cheaper than the TXS unit? Basically, all I/Cs for our cars are rediculously priced!

But hey, front mounts do look cool. I want one, but don't!
My biggest concern with a top mount is heat-soak, and this is going to be an issue regardless. Also, as far as I can see it is physcially impossible for a TMIC on the WRX to flow as much air as a FMIC (I'm talking about air past the IC, not through it's core).

Regarding pricing; the only TMIC that I know that is cheaper than the TXS, is the STi unit. I would rather have the TXS if given the choice between the two. I certainly agree that all the WRX ICs are overpriced; it's just too bad that TurboXS have followed suit. Now it will be interesting to see at what price point Shiv releases his TMIC.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and I'm confident you will see some good power gains.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
jt money said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: thats the biggest tmi ive seen yet. whats the price on that baby
Actually...Blitz makes a much bigger TMIC for the WRX. I saw it on a thread on this forum...I'll try to find it and post the link. Late

Fahd

·
Registered
932 Posts
pace said:

My biggest concern with a top mount is heat-soak, and this is going to be an issue regardless.
-Pace
Maybe you can edumacate me on this. I've heard there is more turbo lag with the FMIC because of all the additional piping the air has to travel through. IS this true?

And if so, wouldn't it be just a trade off: less lag vs. more power? Maybe it ultimately depends on what you're looking for: better driveability or more peak power.

·
Registered
0 Posts
bedabi said:

Maybe you can edumacte me on this. I've heard there is more turbo lag with the FMIC because of all the additional piping the air has to travel through. IS this true?

And if so, wouldn't it be just a trade off: less lag vs. more power? Maybe it ultimately depends on what you're looking for: better driveability or more peak power.
lag from hose length + cost of install + tearin up your bumper + loss of lights(in most cases) VS heat soak (which you wont have w\ a nitros or water sprayer) seems like apples and oranges to me

·
2,210 Posts
bedabi said:

Maybe you can edumacte me on this. I've heard there is more turbo lag with the FMIC because of all the additional piping the air has to travel through. IS this true?

Your assertions are correct to the best of my knowledge.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Si2WRX said:

Blitz makes a top mount?
I could swear I saw a thread that had a pic of a huge Blitz TMIC, but I can't freakin'find it:mad:!!! I remember reading that it wasn't out yet, but will be soon. I'm going to keep searching...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1/4mi results...

My previous best was a [email protected]

Yesterday, the only change to the car being the TXS top mount, I piloted the car to...

r/t ... .561
60' ... 1.801
330 ... 8.140
mph ... 86.37
1000 ... 10.635
1/4 ... 12.735
mph ... 108.32

Very pleased with the results! I posted a little more in the Drag Racing forum under a thread of mine.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Re: 1/4mi results...

Si2WRX said:
My previous best was a [email protected]

Yesterday, the only change to the car being the TXS top mount, I piloted the car to...

r/t ... .561
60' ... 1.801
330 ... 8.140
mph ... 86.37
1000 ... 10.635
1/4 ... 12.735
mph ... 108.32

Very pleased with the results! I posted a little more in the Drag Racing forum under a thread of mine.
WOW...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...

Congratulations on the 12 second club. I guess that extra area helps cool more air huh??? And a 1/4 second shaved off just by a TMIC. WOW...

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to bust the bubble, but do you have the conditions in which you ran both the runs? Air temperature, humidity, pressure, etc? That can make quite a difference. However, much congrats on that run! 12.x is something I wish I could attain ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
WRXin' said:

I could swear I saw a thread that had a pic of a huge Blitz TMIC, but I can't freakin'find it:mad:!!! I remember reading that it wasn't out yet, but will be soon. I'm going to keep searching...
Im sure the guy just spray painted "BLITZ" on his TMIC. Heh, but if you can prove me wrong please find out, If they do make it, its on my car...

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Nexus6 said:

Im sure the guy just spray painted "BLITZ" on his TMIC. Heh, but if you can prove me wrong please find out, If they do make it, its on my car...
Well Nexus6, I smoked way too muck crack that day:rolleyes:. It wasn't a Blitz TMIC...it was actually a TXS. Here's the link for it http://www.turboxs.com/TXS Intercoolers.htm ...I was convinced it was Blitz, but I guess I was wrong. My apologies for those who got excited by my unintentionally false news:). Late.

Fahd

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.