Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys need advice I have a 07 wrx with a stock td04 13t , I blew the seals a week ago or so and with that I'd like to upgrade was looking at the FP blue but I think it's to much for the car , the car has stock internals and stock injector I know I'll have to upgrade injectors with any turbo but would like to know what my best and safest bet would be to go with 16g-18g-20g ,Thanks for any advice and this is a list of what's alread done and my last dyno said 236 whp and 316 torque
Deatschwerks DW 200 255lph fuel pump
SS header
SS 3in exhaust w/ 3in down pipe
Turbo xs blow off
Bigger inner cooler (still top mount)
Cobb cai w/sf air box
Torque solution Tammy bushings
Gates belts
Cobb V3 with stage two tune (for now)
Act clutch/ street sprung

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Safest? Stock

Assuming all maintenance is up-to-date and your car passes compression / leakdown tests (or can afford to do an engine replacement)...

Cheapest? Used VFXX from STI
Moderate? Blouch 18G-XT
Correct? Rotated GTX3071R+

There are a bunch of additional parts you'll want to make sure you have, depending on what you go with. At a minimum, make sure you buy an aftermarket turbo inlet, as the OE one is notorious for tearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes all maintenance is up to date , had leak down test and compression test run everything was good I do have an after market turbo inlet already this is the 2nd stock td04 to fail so I'm waiting to go with a better built and a little more power just don't want to over power the cars internals

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
18G-XT

At a minimum, you'd need injectors (ID1050X).

If you have one of the TurboXS knockoff "big TMICs", that should get replaced; ETS if you're looking to save money, Spearco if you want the best. You'll want aftermarket boost control (EBCS or MBC). If you don't already have a good Boost (Defi / AEM) / WBO2 (AEM / Innovate Motorsports) gauge, you should have them to be able to monitor everything is in line. Crappy gauges (e.g., Prosport) are often inaccurate and fail, and thus, are worse than no gauge at all.

From there, you can do things like TGV deletes, EWG uppipe, etc. that will all help, but if you're working on a budget, those aren't things that you should do before dropping $500 on your tune. If E85 is in your area, you might be able to get a discount if you get both pump/E tunes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks , it's a true turbo xs no knock off , I do need new gauges I'm the one in the car came in it and I don't like it so that is on the list of things to do , unfortunately no e85 here I can get 112 octane at like 8 bucks a gal lol

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
What's a good boost control to get
GM 3-port boost solenoid. Needs a wire splice (or you still might be able to buy a harness). They are like $35 and perform as well as any other 3-port alternative. These solenoids were off the GMC Typhoon/Syclone IIRC.

Will need tuning, of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Moderate? Blouch 18G-XT

How do you feel about the Blouch XT-R turbos? Less demanding on oil, and should have better response.. I know the ball bearing 20g I ran for a little while had really impressive spool characteristics.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
Blouch is top notch. I don't think anyone here would disagree. Solid customer service as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
MainFrame said:
How do you feel about the Blouch XT-R turbos? Less demanding on oil, and should have better response.. I know the ball bearing 20g I ran for a little while had really impressive spool characteristics.
Compared to the XT, XT-R will have slower initial spool by a few hundred RPMs, but better transient response in between shifts. The XT-R variants are a good bit more expensive, and I would add to that cost by optioning the 3" compressor housing. When you start getting up into that price range, I'd start looking at something of the rotated variety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts