ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got my 05 wrx about month n half ago,... got the timing belt changed, differentials, oil, compression checked, oil change, etc (basic tune up)

Now i want to upgrade my turbo, now i now know i am going with a blouch turbo.. however at first was going to go with the 16g xt, but all i have been seeing on online is people with the 05 wrx with a 18g or 20g... what do you guys think? and BTW compression check was perfect all the way across the board so i know i am goood there... realisticly id like 275-325 hp possible?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Contact the maker directly to discuss your options. Also contact the person that will tune the car after the installation, assuming that is not you. In general I like the smallest turbo possible but that limits your room to "grow" and is certainly not fashionable. Ask direct and directed questions of the maker and/or vendor and see what they say.

When you do so, specify the fuel you will generally be using and any characteristics you would like in terms of response, spool time, etc. Also ask what ancillary components you will need to install, and do the math for each case to get a sum for each turbo.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
I'll tell you this much: the 2,0 L could as well have come with the 16G from the factory. It's a bigger turbo than stock but not unreasonable. It won't make 20G power but will likely be easier to live with. If you had a 2,5 I may have said 20G. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Anyone else got their opinions? Just trying to see what works fr others and wat didnt

Yeah, we do. They are pretty much exactly the same as his though ;)

He brings up a very good point that most people overlook and just go for a number. You should decide what turbo matches the typr of response you want based on discussions with the people who will be directly involved in the tune and production of the turbo.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The 16G variants are the most popular 2.0L turbo for a reason. Decent bump in peak power, while still maintaining solid spool characteristics and area under the curve.

Smaller turbos will have more of a torque kick, but fall on their face up top. Larger turbos will come on slower, but continue pulling towards redline. Spend some time perusing dyno plots, making note of the curves; which ones appeal to you?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're going to need more to do so, at minimum, new injectors (650CC or more), fuel pump and a tune.
I knew that part, thanks for adding it in tho.. I jus wanted see what other ppl thought on jus the turbo itself. As far as everyone else thanks for the info, ill go talk it out with ALL ASPECTS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts