ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this might be a stupid idea, but I found a deal, so...

1. What is the stock WRX injector size? I've read that maybe its 440cc.

2. I found a used VF28. Quick spooling with low end and mid range power.

So here's what I want to know. Can I run a VF28 on the stock fuel system? Being at altitude, I'd be running less boost, so the fuel system wouldn't have to compenstae as much as if I was at sea level, right? Eventually, there would be fuel upgrades of course, but for awhile...

Some issues: I still only have a downpipe. I don't have any EM. Should I maybe just get the turbo if its a deal and then just sit on it?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You can find a gutted stock uppipe for like 75. You can use mine to gut actually if I can have your stock one when you're done. Ummm. You'd probably want fuel management to adjust the fuel with the VF28 too. Don't you have an AP too??? I dunno. But I'd suggest the UP. It makes a big difference.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have an uppipe too. And I sold my AP since I'm poor.

What I can do is get a better fuel pump and do the crushed FPR mod and I think that would be suffcient fuel. I would just need some EM and a tune then.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
I don't know what boost you'd have in mind, but the stock injectors can probably keep up for a little while. I don't know a thing about the VF28. But, yes, the lower absolute pressure makes it more likely the injectors will be ok. I think they're 420cc, BTW.

You will need engine management, though. Otherwise....uhh... well, that's a bad idea.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The VF28 is the same VF24/VF29.

Larry said in a post that the injectors have been flow tested from 420-440cc.

I have seen that others have run bigger turbos on the stock fuel and ECU. It may not be the ideal situation, but it would work until I could get a tune. Boost levels would be stock, so probably around 12ish psi.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Xufd.

hzhzhhz

zxhit

ok, hang on.

Wow, my fingers are greasy from eating chips and I was using an odd set of fingers to type so I didn't gunk up my keyboard. Translating..

sure.

hahahaha

I just thought it was amusing, so I left it. I just installed new lights. Hopefully tomorrow I can do shelves. I was going to today, but other stuff came up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
another thing you could look into is WI. I know a few people that went that route instead of upgrading their fuel system and have had great results. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Well, did you buy the turbo? I'll help you with your DP by the way. I wanna get my hands dirty.

So what did you decide about the turbo, because I have some money laying around, but not enough for an Accessport or carbon hood, but since I already have the S-AFC I could probably get tuned at MAC for a small turbo like that. I know VF22WRX ran his turbo like that for a while. We could do a timeshare on the turbo..... :D

Would the overall power increase, or would power come on sooner? Damn, now I have to search....

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Rancid said:
I decided to be responsible and pay bills instead.
That is quitter talk. Weak sauce.

I have an opposite question... is it ok to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors, before you upgrade the turbo? Seems like the computer thingie would make up for it and only flow the fuel it needs, but I don't know. I need to install the fuel pump before I finish my stereo, but don't have the funds for a turbo yet...

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Good plan, Ian. Don't be like me.

Sammy, I think the fuel pump will be fine, but I'd hold off on the injectors. It makes for a more fun day to do the turbo and injectors at the same time anywho.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Yeah, I think the pump would be ok but without a map the injectors would make the car run like a one legged man with a cast on his leg.

·
Registered
242 Posts
svc said:
That is quitter talk. Weak sauce.

I have an opposite question... is it ok to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors, before you upgrade the turbo? Seems like the computer thingie would make up for it and only flow the fuel it needs, but I don't know. I need to install the fuel pump before I finish my stereo, but don't have the funds for a turbo yet...
I'm going to throw out the WI thing again. It's much cheaper than 4 injectors and IMO it works better. You obviously have to get it tuned, but if you're doing turbo/injectors/pump you have to get that tuned anyways.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts