Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any reccomendations regarding these things? Are they needed? If yes, which are the best? Is installing easy?

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
hehe this XMas even tho i dont have a scoob yet... im going to make my GF buy me a TT... i would kinda like to know whats a good model myself.. I was just going to end up with a Greddy TT most likely

·
Registered
218 Posts
same with the apex TT they have a harness and you also have to splice into the o2 seonsor in the ecu and your battery line(i believe) you dont have to do this if all you want is a TT just plug the harness in and the ebrake line. all the other wires are just extra features. like the apex one has an a/f gauge probably really inacurate and a battery level gauge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like my HKS Type 1 TT. You could leave the ECU plugs undone if you wanted, then the install would take about 10 minutes, but you couldn't use the tasty goodies like auto-timing the idle time, quarter-mile, and 0 to 60 mph timing.

M

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to make this relative, I am by no means an electrical guru, nor have I spliced into wires in a car, nor have I seen an ecu prior to installing my hks turbo timer type 1 and I managed to install it in about 30 minutes. It is really not difficult at all as long as you have a good printout of the pins on the ecu.

Must agree, I like my HKS type 1 and for the price it offers quite a bit of extras, apart from being a turbo timer. Definately get the harness for a clean installation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, tapping the HKS into your ECU shouldn't be all that hard, but leave it to me to futz it up. My vampire tap wouldn't get a good connection, so I kept clamping down on it. Eventually it cut through the speed wire and shorted some other wires out. Then everything broke: speedometer (of course), odometer, fog lights, brights, cruise control, headlights are always DRL, ABS light came on, CEL came on, and the engine chugs at 5000 RPM. Yech!

Anyway, the dealer is charging me 370 bux to fix the wiring and hook the TT up correctly... I thought I'd need a new ECU!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
MCubed said:
Well, tapping the HKS into your ECU shouldn't be all that hard, but leave it to me to futz it up. My vampire tap wouldn't get a good connection, so I kept clamping down on it. Eventually it cut through the speed wire and shorted some other wires out. Then everything broke: speedometer (of course), odometer, fog lights, brights, cruise control, headlights are always DRL, ABS light came on, CEL came on, and the engine chugs at 5000 RPM. Yech!

Anyway, the dealer is charging me 370 bux to fix the wiring and hook the TT up correctly... I thought I'd need a new ECU!
DOH!, I mean major.... You got me wondering if I should try it when I get to that stage.

Earthling, where'd you get the printout?

Rod

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still don't think it is that big a deal to install the HKS. If I had it to do over again, I'd disconnect my battery and then solder the connections on and not use a crappy vampire tap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts