Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for your thoughts on turbo timers. Do you think they actually help your car? Have there been any "scientific" tests to see if they help? Your opinions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, let's put it this way. Even if it doesn't help your car it isn't hurting it. And for ~$100, you get a boost guage(on some TT's) and a little touch of bling to your interior.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd say that its not needed. But, like the guy said if you want some 'bling bling' meaning shiny flashy lights and stuff, then get one. However, if you run the car hard make sure that you drive it easy for a few miles and dont just shut the car down after you take it too the track or something.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry,

I was drunk when I just responded "yes"

In fact, I do have a very relavent opinion regarding the use of Turbo Timers. My attitude is that if you bothered to break in your car, you should get a turbo timer. It is one of those things that people will either say is useless or quite beneficiary. I use one, because there is no way it can hurt my car, and it may save me $$$$$$$$ in the future if the WRX turbo isn't quite as strong as ppl claim it to be. In addittion, my turbo timer saved me $130 for a boost gauge, which I consider a cost effective function!

If you want a great boost gauge for less than it shoudl cost, get a Blitz DTT DCII, or if you

Sh*t, I'm stil ldrunk, sorry

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I say its worth it because you can get a boost gauge with it and also if you take care of your car its easier to let the Turbo Timer let the car idol rather than sitting in the car yourself. Its more convenient. IMO

·
Registered
145 Posts
Its a convenience Item. Your turbo does need to cool down either by you sitting in it, or the tt counting it for you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
PROS : You can leave your car and not have to wait 30 seconds to a minute, thus allowing you to be lazy!

CONS : You have to leave your car in neutral. Idiots at car shops usually don't realize you have one or know how it works, and things get messy (read this in a thread a month or two ago).

My 2 cents : If you're in such a rush you can't wait 30 second or a minute in your car and let it idol, or if you just forget, then go for it. Personally, and at the opinion of somebody who works at the dealership I bought from who knows right from wrong, told me it's really something you need only if you drive hard.
If you drive your WRX like an old lady, don't bother with the timer or sitting around. If you're like me, and drive to work in 7 to 10 minutes and rev at 6000rpm on your way, through the gears... Yeah, you might want to take the time to give it 30 seconds or a little more to chill out. If you push it for a few hours like I do on my days off from work, and drive it like you love it, then YEAH! Give it a nice minute to relax. I think the idea of a timer is cool, but having to leave the car in neutral for it to work is a pain. I'm simply used to letting it set for about a minute. More if I'm coming home from shopping.

Important! Yeah, if you drive hard, let the car have some time. If you don't, the car doesn't need it! So base the need of a timer on your driving habbits, and if you think you can wait a moment for the turbo to calm itself from all the 227 ways to excite yourself!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm curious, does any one know what leaving the car in idle will do for the turbo?

The oil pump is on, but do you need to keep lubicating a part that's no longer moving?

I've read that the coolant running through the turbo will recirculate regardless if the engine is on or not.

Anyone care to enlighten here, cause right now, the need for a timer does not seem to be there (driven hard or not).

·
Registered
298 Posts
QuickSilver said:
I'm curious, does any one know what leaving the car in idle will do for the turbo?

The oil pump is on, but do you need to keep lubicating a part that's no longer moving?

I've read that the coolant running through the turbo will recirculate regardless if the engine is on or not.

Anyone care to enlighten here, cause right now, the need for a timer does not seem to be there (driven hard or not).
1st, The turbo is spinning the whole time the car is on. It never stops when the car is running. So there for, the purpose is of the turbo timer is to keep oil running through the turbo to cool down the center housing. This is critical after a hard run, where the turbo can spin at VERY high RPM and reach temperatures as high as 1600 degrees. If an engine is shut down immediately after a hard run, the turbo may still be spinning without any circulating oil, and even if they are not spinning, the turbo can still be very hot causing oil coking. Extended and repetitive oil coking within the oil lines and center housing of the turbo could result in clogging problems and a damaged turbo.

2nd, The water pump is powered by the belt running from the crank pulley. This means if the engine is not running coolant is not pumping throughout.

I use a Apexi Auto Turbo Timer, but leave it in maunal mode. I normall leave it set for 10 seconds which gives it time to cool down breifly, even if I have not run the car hard. It is VERY easy to raise the time on this timer to whatever you deem nessecary. If I have run the car har I let it run for a couple minutes to cool down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AaronC said:

2nd, The water pump is powered by the belt running from the crank pulley. This means if the engine is not running coolant is not pumping throughout.
That is incorrect. According to Subaru's own document, the cooling system is specifically designed so that the coolant will continue to flow through the turbo even if the engine is shut off. That's why WRX's manual does not mention cooling down or use turbo timer at all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Foxbat said:

That is incorrect. According to Subaru's own document, the cooling system is specifically designed so that the coolant will continue to flow through the turbo even if the engine is shut off. That's why WRX's manual does not mention cooling down or use turbo timer at all.
I took a look at what you were talking about, and apparently the WRX has a "Passive Cooling" system, that does not use the water pump. This would allow the turbo to cool faster when the car is off, but if you are running higher then stock boost the turbo is still VERY hot, and having oil sitting in the turbo cooling "slightly" faster is still a band-aid for a proper cool down.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think it's a consensus that if your heavily modded and/or have a upgraded turbo, then a timer is necessary.

The cooling system works the way it does. So no room for argument there.

The oil system seems to be the key concern now.

Aaron C, you're right. When the car is running, the exhaust is still turning the turbo. With the engine off, the turbo does not spin so no need for lubrication.

Now the issue is how the oil reacts to being very hot and left stagnant within the turbo. Does coking ( I understand this as oil super-heated to form sludge) really happen within the system? Aaron, the way you paint the picture it sounds very, very bad. I'm not disagreeing w/ you, but I'm very surprise Subaru did not address this problem?

·
Registered
298 Posts
QuickSilver said:
I'm not disagreeing w/ you, but I'm very surprise Subaru did not address this problem?
I think they did address this on a completly stock WRX. I seriously doubt that the turbo needs to cool down on the car stock, although, as someone mentioned earlier, it cant hurt. If the boost level is left at 13.5 PSI, then the trubo does not get nearly as hot as running it at, say, 15 or 16PSI like many of us do. The turbo hits much higher RPMs then subaru designed the system to support, when you are upping the pressure with a boost controller.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.