Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I just installed a Blitz dual TT, the unit works perfectly, however, now my parking lights stay on constantly. The only way I can turn off lights is disconnect battery. The purple wire is grounded because all instructions I read said to hook purple wire to pink, my e-brake has red, white and black, no pink.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did the same thing, check your parking light switch on the top of your steering colum and that should be it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red face

Yeah, that was it, feel like an idiot, thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
.. sorry to revive an old thread but..

If you don't hook up to the pink brake wire, can you use the emergency brake without killing the engine? I know that's supposed to be a saftey feature, but sometimes I use it while idling to kill the daytime running lights.

..and then there's the occasional need for a 360 ala "Ronin" :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you dont hook up the pink wire to the e-brake and you pull it up then let it back down nothing will happen, you have to have the pink wire hooked up to it for it to work, so dont worry. As far as the saftey goes it really doesnt matter because your steering wheel will lock up witout the key in the ignition, it doesnt matter if the turbo-timer is on or not, and believe me I know because I was driving with the turbo-timer on and the key was not in the ingition, and I couldnt steer:eek: Genius:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
klancek said:
.. sorry to revive an old thread but..

If you don't hook up to the pink brake wire, can you use the emergency brake without killing the engine? I know that's supposed to be a saftey feature, but sometimes I use it while idling to kill the daytime running lights.

..and then there's the occasional need for a 360 ala "Ronin" :D
Pulling the e-brake when idling won't kill the engine since your key would be in the ignition, hence the TT won't be counting down. And for the same reason, you can e-brake turn all you want.

So hook that pink wire up for security purposes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot you had to take the key out. :D

.. just to clarify, you can still park the car with the emergency brake on and the TT on, and the engine stays on, right? It sounds funny when people say "connect to the pink wire so the engine kills when the e-brake is pulled." You just have to remember to release the e-brake before starting the car the next time? .. I guess the hope is you'd never need to give it gas to start it when you're parked on a hill.

.. or maybe then you could just pop the clutch to start it, in that case..

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thought I would be swift and pull across the parking lot with my keys already in my pocket since the turbo timer was still on and the engine was running, not a good idea. Too lazy to put the keys back in the ignition:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
klancek said:
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot you had to take the key out. :D

You just have to remember to release the e-brake before starting the car the next time? .. I guess the hope is you'd never need to give it gas to start it when you're parked on a hill.

.. or maybe then you could just pop the clutch to start it, in that case..
Unless something is wrong with TT installation, you don't need to disengage the e-brake before starting the car.

Pulling the e-brake kills the engine only when your key is NOT in the ignition.

·
1,263 Posts
the e-brake interface is for the case of an accident where someone wants to make sure the ignition is off on the car - usually after a crash people do not apply the handbrake (they may be unconscious) if you are the first person to a crash you want to ensure the ignition is off without having to wait for a timer. If the e-brake is off and you take out the key - no timer = safe for others trying to help you.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've done the same thing before, those crazy engrish directions say something about lights may stay on if not shut off before tt is on. I was all paranoid, disconnected the batt. still didn't fix then I saw the switch. DUH:rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
AlexWRX said:
Unless something is wrong with TT installation, you don't need to disengage the e-brake before starting the car.
Pulling the e-brake kills the engine only when your key is NOT in the ignition.
I still feel dumb here, sorry..

w/o a turbo timer, I can park the car, (then of course wait a while hoping it's long enough to cool the turbo), turn off the ignition, then pull the ebrake. The order obviously doesn't matter.

w/ the timer, I'd have to pull the e-brake before turning off the ignition. If you did it the other way while the turbo timer was still counting down, you'd kill it prematurely.. ? Plus, if someone tries to hotwire it w/o the key, it won't start unless they release the e-brake. ..?

·
Registered
679 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
the e-brake interface is for the case of an accident where someone wants to make sure the ignition is off on the car - usually after a crash people do not apply the handbrake (they may be unconscious) if you are the first person to a crash you want to ensure the ignition is off without having to wait for a timer. If the e-brake is off and you take out the key - no timer = safe for others trying to help you.
The reason it's there is because if someone tries to drive off with your car while it's TT the car will die the second they release the E-brake. It even says it in the manual (for mine).

The safety thing is nice, but I think that's more a side effect.

·
1,263 Posts
TypeC said:
The reason it's there is because if someone tries to drive off with your car while it's TT the car will die the second they release the E-brake. It even says it in the manual (for mine).

The safety thing is nice, but I think that's more a side effect.
but without the key - the steering is locked still???

·
Registered
77 Posts
TypeC said:
Got it (finally), thanks TypeC. I thought it was when you pull the e-brake, but now it makes sense

·
Registered
679 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
but without the key - the steering is locked still???
Yeah, don't get me wrong, the car still wouldn't be easy to still but they 'd be half way down the road before they figured it out: When your car is wrecked!

Thieves :mad:

Don't forget to set your alarm before you walk away! You can never be too sure. In fact, when I'm at a mall or theater I NEVER walk away while it is timing.

·
1,263 Posts
I always walk away - but I would be a rich man if I had a buck for every time someone comes running up to me huffing and puffing "Sir! Sir! Your car is still running". The look on their faces when you reply "Yeah, I know" and walk off is priceless.

:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
klancek said:
I still feel dumb here, sorry..

w/o a turbo timer, I can park the car, (then of course wait a while hoping it's long enough to cool the turbo), turn off the ignition, then pull the ebrake. The order obviously doesn't matter.

w/ the timer, I'd have to pull the e-brake before turning off the ignition. If you did it the other way while the turbo timer was still counting down, you'd kill it prematurely.. ? Plus, if someone tries to hotwire it w/o the key, it won't start unless they release the e-brake. ..?
Most people pull the e-brake before turning off the ignition.

If someone tries to drive off without the key in ignition, the engine would shut off when the e-brake is released. That's why the pink wire should be hooked up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts