ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I bought a td04 with 80 miles on it to replace my failing turbo with 110,000 on it. I have the cobb accessport set at stage 2 right now (15psi of boost) and with the current turbo I am making 7-10 on a GOOD day. I was just wondering if my waiste gate is going to be able to keep up with 15psi, or should i just get a manual boost controller? Much appreciated!

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
First a question, how do you know your turbo is failing, and that it isn't some other mechanical or tune related fault?

The wastegate is only the mechanical part of the boost control system, your BCS is what the ECU uses to control the wastegate to control boost pressure. Both wastegate and BCS will handle that just fine, though a 3-port with a custom tune will do better.

Since you have an AccessPort running a stage 2 map, stay with the stock BCS until you decide you want a custom tune and want something different. Do NOT change out the BCS to a manual boost controller or 3-port without getting tuned for it.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I seriously doubt the turbo is the issue. Has it ever boosted over 10psi? Ether the restrictor pill is missing,the BCS is gummed up/malfunctioning,the ECU has disabled boost due to severe knock or you have a boost leak.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have gotten 12 once.. The engine is fine, no knocking sounds at all, however the gummed up bcs/boost leak sound quite likely. Where would the restrictor pill be located in my turbo? Ill see if it is there or not (i have my downpipe off, making my own bellmouth) ;)!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts