Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to tell someone on this community that Turbo Specialties has been a real bear to work with. I have sent them numerous emails, phone calls over the past two months and they refuse to correct my account after my purchase of a turbo from them. First the overcharged my acct by the sum of $200, Secondly, they were promised to send me an update on my turbo (actuator problem). Neither has come to fruition, so I requested a refund (their website states unconditional money back refund). Needless to say this refund has not been completed. Any time I get them on the phone, they always take my acct # and tell me they will retify the situation. Two months later, I'm left with the worst case of customer service I have witnessed.

I am now turning this over to the folks at http://www.bbb.org/

·
Registered
393 Posts
That sucks to hear and I apologize.

Which turbo were they supposed to get you a new actuator for? the 16g, big 16g or 17c?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased a 17C from them

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
:( Hope all is resolved amicably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey All8up --

I know a little about the creditcard business; this is what you do. Contact the customer service # on the back of your card. Explian to them the issue, the will then start a "chargeback". Turbo Specialties , then has to provide there documentation for the sale, while all this is going on you receive a credit back to your account for the full amount of the sale. The bank then receives the info contacts you and a decession is made. Contact your creditcard issuer for more details.....Good Luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your support guys.
I've placed a request with my CC co. and they just sent me the forms to fill out.
I'm also curious what action the BBB will take

·
Registered
6 Posts
All they can do is reply to the bank. That's it. They cannot contact you directly. The process might take a few weeks. Call the bank and check up after the second week. Make sure you are detailed with the info you submit. You'll be fine :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very Angry with Turbo Specialties!

I purchased a Garrett Hybrid turbo from Ebay that turned out to be damaged. This turbo was then sent back to Turbo Specialties after fighting with the guy I bought it from. This was back in February. The turbo arrived to Alabama around mid April. Every time I call, they give me another excuse. I am now out $300 and I have almost given up. This has made me very angry. I tried to buy parts on a budget, and now i will never buy off of ebay or Turbo Specialties. The turbo is under warranty, but what good does that do me. I am at the mercy of Turbo Specialties. For all I know they may be lieing to me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AWDSLPR,
Sorry to hear about your bouts w/ T.S.
I would certainly file a complaint to the BBB. I've given up on calling them as well, they are near impossible to reach by phone.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The BBB is good for other people to collect information on T.S. before they make a purchase. This way consumers can see that this place has a bad reputation before they purchase, but I dont believe the BBB can take any action besides that. I could be wrong, but that was my experience with someone else who filed a complaint with the BBB. I think they also contact the business with the complaint though.

P.S. - Always be careful buying anything automotive from Ebay. I won a turbo off an auction on there and the seller never sent the merchandise, luckily I was able to cancel my payment. I was pissed off to say the least.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The owner wrote to me apologizing and again indicating he would credit my account. After everything I have been reading from Nathan and other users, I feel confident in knowing the only way I'll get my refund is through my credit card company.
I'll keep you guys posted...

·
2,210 Posts
Everyone here that I've spoken to [in Colorado] who has dealt with TS only has bad things to say. I would also caution anybody here from picking up any unit that utilizes the 17C compressor wheel. As far as I can tell, the only reason TS are using this is to clear out old inventory. First, the characteristics of this compressor are poorly suited to a small displacement, high boost application, and secondly it uses antiquated technology. I've seen one of these wheels in person and the profile is vastly inferior to (for example) the 16G small, and 18G. Anyone who has doubts should call Forced Performance or Turbo Engineering Corp (TEC) and ask for some background info on the 17C wheel and how it compares to more modern units.

I don't want to make you feel worse about your purchase All&up, but I just don't like to see other folks getting suckered.. :(

-Pace

·
Registered
136 Posts
I couldnt even get hold of them to ask questions about thier product. When I did talk to someone, it was always someone that didnt have the answers, "the guy you wanna talk to will be back in about an hour"...after a few of these calls, I didnt think it wise to send them a check

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update

Credit card company aknowledge my complaint and they are now disputing with the vendor. I was hoping that the $ would be credited back while they work it out themselves...wishful thinking on my behalf.

Pace, the reason I went with a 17c was based on the idea that the wrx is an engine with a low redline and warranted a turbo that provided decent power within those parameters.

Regardless, this is the worst vendor I've dealt with. I would definitely steer anyone away from them and push them towards FP (where I bought my 20g).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
credit card company

After about a month, my credit card company has agreed to credit my account for the T.S. over-charge.
Here's a recap...
Turbo purchased 1st week of Feb 03, was told it would ship out within a week.

Turbo not shipped till end of Feb 03
Install on the following day, inlet hose would not fit and turbo would barely build boost, like 4500 rpms for 7psi!

Corrected the wastegate actuator arm based on a conversation I had with T.S. turbo now built boost @ 3500 rpms 14psi

March 03, T.S. overcharged my account by the sum of $200.
T.S. immediately indicated they would return the $200 and also send an updated turbo, due to the slow spool up characteristics.

After numerous emails and calls promising me that they would send an update and refund, I turned it over to the BBB.
BBB. indicated they could not do anything, but would keep record of my complaint for future inquiries.

April 03, T.S. continued to indicate the refund would be on the way and they would send a replacement turbo.

May 03, T.S. turbo sold

June 03, replaced T.S. turbo w/ FP 20G

Aug 03, refund (the over-charge) credited by my bank...end of story

Word to the wise, I would never purchase a thing from them, services, products or anything. They are never prompt about returning emails and in some cases they chose to ignore them entirely. They also were rarely available when I called them. This was easily the most unpleasant purchasing experience I have ever have.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Glad you got your money back! That is one of the advantages to using a credit card. I've had to dispute a few transactions and they've always gotten my money back.

Forced Performance is the place to go for mitsu turbos. They are friendly, prompt, and answer their phone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts