1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The turbo i spoke of is here...

I am going to past Hunter's message to the i-club here

You guys are going to like this...
A Garrett/IHI Hybrid Turbocharger. We use a Garrett Center Section (CHRA) and a Garrett Compressor Housing with an IHI Turbine Housing. The IHI Turbine Housing allows the Turbo to be a Complete Bolt On Upgrade, you don't have to purchase a new Up Pipe or Downpipe for it to work. It bolts up to Stock or Aftermarket Up Pipes and Downpipes. As long as it has the Standard Flange Patterns. The obvious benefits to the Garrett Center Section and Compressor Housing are a larger selection of Compressor and Turbine Wheels and even Compressor Housings. To see some more pics of the Turbo compared to an IHI VF-22 and the Turbine installed on the car, go to http://www.WRXConcepts.com/pages/hybrid.html
For any questions, feel free to email us at [email protected] or call us at 205.444.5011.

Thanks
Hunter
Turbo Specialties
[email protected]
Make sure you check out all the pictures.

This is going to end up being the new bolt on turbo for the WRX.

I'll be running one of these for a few weeks till my T3/T04E kit is finished, and i expect to be able to hit a mid 11 pass on this turbo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TerribleOne said:
mmm thats nice any specs like cfm?, boost limits, power(hp) capabilities etc.
i have all that information, but i'll let hunter field most of the specfics.

From the compressor map (which i have a copy of) it will make 500hp no problem and support up to around 27-28psi on our car.

On a DSM this compressor has gone as fast as 132mph in the 1/4 mile, while still getting full boost in the 3800-4000 range.

They are getting over 400 to the wheels easy on this turbo when used on a DSM... In fact i know i saw a post about one guy that made 400hp on PUMP GAS with this compressor.

the compressor map is sloped such that we are in the heart if the efficiency islands from about 15psi-26psi or so, and on a DSM the sweet spot is like 28psi of boost.

This compressor wheel has gone as high as 118 on just 15psi of boost for those of you that don't like to go all out...

Like i said, i'll let hunter and reid give you the exact details, because they might change their mind on things like compressor trims and i don't want to get bad information floating around.

The wheel that they are running in the turbine section is not quite as large as i would like, but thats all the IHI 20 housing will take... and even at that they really machined a lot of material out of the 20 housing to make it fit...

How much HP this setup will make on a WRX is yet to be proven, but i expect that i'll have NO problem running mid 11s with it.

Bottom line... 500hp, faster spool than a PE, better parts, and true bolt on to boot...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i just got some bad news, The compressor section is not the T4 that hunter had told me they were going to try. Its the same wheel, but the fact is that the T4 compressor housing could not really be modified to allow for the stock location and hoses...

Anyway, we are looking at a litt bit less HP on this turbo than i thought as my early run down was with this wheel in the To4E housing. Hunter still expects a good deal (475hp) out of this turbo, which puts it a good bit stronger than the PE series (the 1820 is rated at 450hp, but it is pushing it to make 400) but not quite as strong as i had expected.

In any case the full T3/T04E kit should be done in a week or so, and i'll have that on my car ASAP. I still plan to bolt up this turbo to give you guys a review. I expect good things out of it...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just talked to Reed at Turbo Concepts

Guys,

I just got off of the phone with Reid at Turbo Specialties. I never knew a Southerner could talk that fast!!
He said that the IHI/Garrett Hybrid is still under development. The adapter flange is interferring with the tumble generator valve sensor on the turbo side of the engine. They have a work-around that only monitors the other side of the engine for a signal, but they aren't happy with that. They want both sides to be monitored and they think they have a solution. He said that this turbo, when tuned, should put the WRX in the 11 second range. I was like "HOLY, shhhhhhh." That's incredible.

Reid asked me what kind of power I was looking for and I told him I wanted a daily driving that goes to the strip. He said the VF30 has been dynoed to 376HP at the wheels and has very little lag. He also mentioned that they are looking to mainline STi fuel injectors 565cc/min and quoted a price that I was told not to repeat.

I thinking I need to get some money together ASAP because my mouth is watering as the prospect of having the fastest WRX on the east coast. Let's see: $200 for the uppipe, $900 for the turbo, $500 for injectors, $300 for a fuel pump, $1100 for exhaust, $1500 for the Link ECU, $500 for a clutch and flywheel. That's about $5000 dollars. NO PROBLEM, let me write you a check. Yeah, I wish. :D

-Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts
platinum i think this turbo will be a lot more then 900 dollars unless your are talking about the vf30. im not sure how much this turbo is going to cost but i would guess around $1600-$2000 for just the turbo. what happened to the remanufactured stock turbo, earlier you wanted that, you want more power isnt it:D :D, cant blame yea i want the same thing. this is the turbo i plan to get but not anytime soon going for suspension first.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
T1,

I talked to Turbo Specialties and then Forced Performance ten minutes later. They returned my call right after I got done talking to TC. I'm up in the air about which turbo to get, but I think it'll definitely be a hybrid. They are cheaper and better performing. It makes sense to use the best aspects of two different manufacturer's turbos to build a super-turbo. I think the $595+core from forced performance is more along the lines of what I am looking for.

-Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll have the TS hybrid on my car in the next week or so... it should make more power than the FP hybrid, and most likely more power than the PE1820. The difference is that its not in a stock housing, so your dealer is going to know from one look at it that its not a factory turbo.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Jim did you just say that the VF30 equipped WRX was dynoed at 376whp with little lag? Wow, I didn't know the 30 could do that...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for those that did not see the post on the i-club, i got the turbo in, and am VERY, VERY Impressed with this setup!

Reid knows his stuff, and has built a serious turbo here. Spool is about like my 1820, but power is out of this world.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cripes Nathan, now I'm gonna have to upgrade the T3/T4 on my Impulse RS again to stay ahead of that!:p

Any idea what the compressor trim is? .60? Super 60?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AWDTurboNut said:
Cripes Nathan, now I'm gonna have to upgrade the T3/T4 on my Impulse RS again to stay ahead of that!:p

Any idea what the compressor trim is? .60? Super 60?
The compressor is out of a T04E its a 46 trim (IIRC they stuffed it into a t3 housing)... reid told me they could actually get a 50 trim in that housing with some success, but that the inlet size is the restriction at that point, and not worth doing it for some seriouslly technical reasons that just kind of nodded my head and said "uh-ha" when he explained it.

The turbine is a T3 StageII turbine... its HUGE compared to the tiny IHI thing that was in my 1820...

In any case the car moves well... I took John (our impulse friend, and the best butt dyno i know) for a ride and he was impressed but still needs some more testing... i think he is saying that just to get me out to the races ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Knowing John you are very right. He is always the little devil on your shoulder. "Turn up the boost!" "Just Speed Shift It..." "Put a G-Pumper on it..." on and on it goes.

-MAX

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe I missed it...How much will this cost?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts