Subaru WRX Forum banner

turbo sizes

16K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  ilivas 
#1 · (Edited)
can someone explain the turbo sizes, not brand specific, but like 13g,16g,18g,20g,20g+, is this the size of the compressor housing, or the exhaust housing?... and how brand name turbos fit into this scale, like the vfs, sr30/40/50, pe, fp

edit for sr typo

#4 ·
Bask Oner said:
I believe that these designations "13g,16g,18g,20g,20g+" are brand specific - Forced Performance (modified Mitsubishi turbochargers) if I remember correctly.

You should read this thread...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16532

It's full of valuable information.
Some are Stock Mitsubishi Turbos 13G, T25,14B, T28, 16G, Big 16G, Evo 16G.....

#5 · (Edited)
VF series turbos are made by IHI. The entire line of VF series turbos were at one point on a version of the sti,(like the VF 39 is on the v8 sti etc.). PE turbos are basically from my understanding, IHI turbine and compressor housing, with wheels clipped to their spec. FP makes a line of turbos(www.forcedperformance.com), from the fp18g to the fp green all the way to the fp3065. Aps' line is the sr series which range from the sr30 to the 55(correct me if im wrong).

BTW: Kc2buk- I think there are only 2 16g's, big and a small 16g and that is referring to the compressor wheel size.

#6 · (Edited)
Turbo sizing

Unfortunately the turbo manufactures play a game of security by obscurity. They hold basic performance information of their turbos as propietary information and in many cases there is no "authoritative" information about the flow capacity of the various turbos. They also have propietary naming schemes for their products and these are not always intuitive or logical.

In the case of mitsubishi brand turbos the compressor sizing at least follows logically from the id number. ie a 13G flows less than a 16G.

(edit the stock compressor on the WRX is actually a 13T not a 13G as has been widely believed )

Then there are variations with in the brands, the suffix G or B tells something about the compressor design. I have heard that the G series are designed to flow the most, but I have not seen any "official" info to back that up.

In frustration a little over a year ago, I went hunting on the internet and gathered as much as I could on the various turbos and put together an approximate ranking of the various turbos that I eventually posted as part of a thread over on Nasioc.

It is at:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278517

Please read the notes in the post and understand it is only an approximate ranking and lots of things effect how turbochargers perform in a given application. It has not been updated in some time but covers most of the major players.

Hope this helps.

Larry

#10 ·
ilivas said:
I thought the evo 8 came with a big 16g. I think t25 and t28 is a garret turbo.
There are many ways to name turbos. 14B, 16G, 18G, 20G, and things like this are all for Mitsu turbos. They are also called TD-04, TD-05, TD-06, etc. depending on the housings they are in. Anything like a T-25, T-28, T-60, T-66, T-70 are all Garrett turbos. There are also T-3's and T-4's, as well as T-3/T-4 Hybrid turbos (Mutts). Then you have the "Evo 16G". Be careful. What generation Evo did it come out of? Why is this important? Up through Evo 3, they faced one direction, so the intake was on the passenger side. Evo 4 and up 16G's faced the opposide way and the intake is on the driver's side. The old DSM'ers used to buy used Evo 3 16G turbos because they were more or less a straight bolt-up affair on the first generation DSM's. The Evo 3 16G was also larger than a "big" 16G. 16G's had 3 different diameter exhaust openings: "small" was 6cm, "large" was 7cm, and I think Evo 3's was 7.5.

DSM - 16G
http://community.webshots.com/photo/72992647/77219245TbhtqZ
Evo 8 - 16G
http://community.webshots.com/photo/72992647/191068562aPCqhW

#13 ·
Kc2Buk said:
There are many ways to name turbos. 14B, 16G, 18G, 20G, and things like this are all for Mitsu turbos. They are also called TD-04, TD-05, TD-06, etc. depending on the housings they are in. Anything like a T-25, T-28, T-60, T-66, T-70 are all Garrett turbos. There are also T-3's and T-4's, as well as T-3/T-4 Hybrid turbos (Mutts). Then you have the "Evo 16G". Be careful. What generation Evo did it come out of? Why is this important? Up through Evo 3, they faced one direction, so the intake was on the passenger side. Evo 4 and up 16G's faced the opposide way and the intake is on the driver's side. The old DSM'ers used to buy used Evo 3 16G turbos because they were more or less a straight bolt-up affair on the first generation DSM's. The Evo 3 16G was also larger than a "big" 16G. 16G's had 3 different diameter exhaust openings: "small" was 6cm, "large" was 7cm, and I think Evo 3's was 7.5.

DSM - 16G
http://community.webshots.com/photo/72992647/77219245TbhtqZ
Evo 8 - 16G
http://community.webshots.com/photo/72992647/191068562aPCqhW
Thanks for clearing that up. I relaize that the compressor housing is on the opposite side in the new evo 8, however I did not know that the exhaust diameter was even larger than the "big 16g". Good to know. Thanks. :)

-Griffin

#15 ·
hotrod said:
FYI the Mitsubishi TD05H-16G small that came stock on 'the WRX in Australia and Europe in the 1990's had the 7 cm exhaust housing. Its a very nice turbo for this car.

Larry
I was wondering if anyone used this turbo on their wrx, but I didnt know if it would bolt straight up or if it required extra modification. I guess its just old technology.. but then again, so are VF series. Interesting to know, thanks for the little tidbit.

-Griffin

#16 ·
16g

Its a direct bolt up as far as the up-pipe, and down pipe is concerned, the banjo bolts for the water connections are larger on the TD05 then they are on the TD04, but if it comes with the OEM banjo bolts you simply use its water connetions rather than the ones off the TD04. The one difficulty is that the original configuration of these turbos on the Subaru's used an odd design compressor cover that has a 90 degree bend on the turbo inlet. You need to get that cut off and adapted to the straight in inlet design of the USDM WRX.

Its a fine turbo, and will put you in the 12's if you want to go that route. It has more flow potential than the VF-22 which is the biggest of the IHI turbos, and has much lower exhaust gas back pressure..

Larry

#17 ·
Its a fine turbo, and will put you in the 12's if you want to go that route. It has more flow potential than the VF-22 which is the biggest of the IHI turbos, and has much lower exhaust gas back pressure..

So does it have the same spool characteristics of the vf22 or does it even spool later? The only thing I see as being a problem with this turbo is that no one makes base maps for it, or at least that I have seen.

#18 ·
Turbo names can be a nightmare. Mitsubishi and all of the people that modify them love to play with the names... from what i know here is how most of it goes:

TD04H = 13B = 13G > Found in WRX's in US and Gen1 DSMs.

TD05H = 14B = 15G (i think) > Found in Gen 2 DSM's, Slightly larger then TD04.

Small 16G = Bored out TD05H w/ diff. Compressor wheel > Used on EVO 8s and common upgrade for DSMs

Big 16G = TD05H w/ Diff. Compressor wheel and larger exhaust housing> common upgrade for DSMs, Too large for most "street WRX setups"

20G Etc. way too big for most street setups on a WRX

Mitsubishi uses the TD0 name, Greddy Uses the B or G name, and Forced Proformance uses the G name.

I have a TDO5H (14B, etc.) and have compared it to the 13B that comes in WRX's and the diff. in size is not much. i don't think you would net any gain worth swapping it on a WRX.
If you are serious about swapping turbos you should go with a VF or if you want big gains go with anything BB. That is the only way to get away with usable turbo lag out of a larger turbo on a boxer engine.

My .02

#20 · (Edited)
So does it have the same spool characteristics of the vf22 or does it even spool later? The only thing I see as being a problem with this turbo is that no one makes base maps for it, or at least that I have seen.
It spools much better from what the guys in the UK tell us. Most of them consider the VF22 to be a pig, and not worth using as a paper weight. The VF-22 does not survive high boost nearly as well as the mitsubishi, and in the typical track day environment they use the WRX in, over there, the slow spoolup of the VF-22 kills performance off the corners as they get back on the throttle.

I don't have any logs on my setup yet (still sorting out some gremlins) but the spool for the TD05h-16G I have, is hardly slower than the stock TD04-13T. I find it a very pleasent turbo for street driving.

The 16G small flows about 14% more air than the VF-22, and the lower exhaust gas back pressure allows the engine to make more power on the same boost.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.