ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas,

Currently have a 02 WRX that i am building into a nice modest track car. The turbo is going on it and i feel that i am going to have to replace it soon. current engine mods are stock turbo, stock injectors, invidia up pipe, invidia downpipe, invidia exhaust, cobb SF intake with box, mishimoto radiator, Turbo XS blow off valve, and a good tune from National Speed inc. last dyno was 247 whp. Future mods are process west TMIC, Air oil separator, bigger injectors (not too big) better spark plugs, headers, and a better turbo. This are just the engine mods i have been building other parts of the car as well. but my question is what is a good step up from the stock turbo? I want the car to be very reliable but be able to produce some good power. Also what is a good realistic power goal with the mods i had mentioned. Thanks everyone!

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I love my FP 68HTA. Spools quickly and makes good power. Holds boost all the way to redline unlike the VF series turbos.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What are your compression/leakdown results?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Havent done a compression/ leakdown test, but turbo spits oil and smokes sometimes. current turbo is stock and has 140k miles on it. I have been wanting to upgrade and was thinking about getting another stock td04 but having it ported and polished. I will look into the FP 68HTA.

·
8,921 Posts
My 68 is PnP'd.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn! i looked up that turbo, it is a monster. might be i little much for what i am building. I like the td04 but thats probably because i dont know any better. would a pnp'd tdo4 spool up quick and hold boost longer? does anyone know how much a pnp'd td04 would cost? should i try to just rebuild/repair my stoke one and pnp that? sorry for all the questions, thanks for the input!

·
8,921 Posts
Damn! i looked up that turbo, it is a monster. might be i little much for what i am building. I like the td04 but thats probably because i dont know any better. would a pnp'd tdo4 spool up quick and hold boost longer? does anyone know how much a pnp'd td04 would cost? should i try to just rebuild/repair my stoke one and pnp that? sorry for all the questions, thanks for the input!
Subaru, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Mazda Aftermarket Parts Engineering :Grimmspeed

They do a PnP service. The 68 is between an 18 and 20g. If you're going to stick with a stockish turbo then an VF39 or VF43 is a good option. Obviously stock turbos are going to spool quickly but they taper really bad towards redline. I can't really speak for other turbos since I've only run the 68 and the stocker, but the 68 only tapes 1psi all the way through redline. I'm also at full spool at 3400rpms and I'm on a front mount. So...take that for what it's worth.

Edit: Picking up a used VF series turbo is a great option. They go from 300-500 usually depending on mileage and a turbo rebuild would cost you around the same.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you read my initial post it names the mods i have and the mods i am still looking to do. the car is making 247 whp right now but would like to increase that to 265-275. I am not looking to create a fire breathing monster but more of a well rounded car with good power and a strong even powerband. I think picking up a used VF and PnPing it would be something i would be looking to do. would i have to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
If you read my initial post it names the mods i have and the mods i am still looking to do. the car is making 247 whp right now but would like to increase that to 265-275. I am not looking to create a fire breathing monster but more of a well rounded car with good power and a strong even powerband. I think picking up a used VF and PnPing it would be something i would be looking to do. would i have to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors?
My mistake I completely missed that. Yes, you should upgrade injectors for that power range. At the very least 565 CC but you can always get 650 CC and be fine, either way you'll need it tuned. Yes to the fuel pump as well. When you're ready to buy them, let me know and I'll hook you up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! you guys rock. I think i am going to pull my stock turbo and see whats wrong with it. car still runs good just smokes from the turbo once in a while. If its good still i might just send it to grimspeed and have it PnP'd and definitly have it ceramic coated so it doesnt turn into a rust ball again. but i still may upgrade to a slightly bigger turbo. We will have to see. so many things i want to do!

·
8,921 Posts
Awesome! you guys rock. I think i am going to pull my stock turbo and see whats wrong with it. car still runs good just smokes from the turbo once in a while. If its good still i might just send it to grimspeed and have it PnP'd and definitly have it ceramic coated so it doesnt turn into a rust ball again. but i still may upgrade to a slightly bigger turbo. We will have to see. so many things i want to do!
If you're pulling the turbo and getting a PnP service you may as well just rebuild it to be safe. Just my .02. However if you want a well rounded car I would not consider stock WRX/STI turbos. They make good power but they run out of breath really easily so your top end performance is going to suffer. Since you said you wanted a track car you're going to want all the boosties you can get throughout the powerband.

·
8,921 Posts
Yeah now that you mention it my turbo does kinda die out at the top. i need a good turbo thats not going to break the bank. I couldnt find a used VF39 or 43 but i only looked for about 15 minutes.
They are out there. It just takes a little leg work.

·
8,921 Posts
Your power gain is going to be significant with a VF series turbo. Just keep in mind, they still taper pretty drastically.

·
8,921 Posts
will it help if i get it PnP'd? or will that just help it spool up quicker.
A little, but not anything that you'd really notice. If you're looking at PnP service and you're looking for the best performance I'd suggest getting TGV deletes and PnP your intake manifold. If you got the money, you may as well do it. Find some local guys in your area and ask for a ride and see how their cars respond.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts