ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i think my turbo is done it whistles under boost and it has slight shaft play. i need to find a place or someone who can rebuild it for me in the orange county area. thanks

turbo is a garret m33

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a better solution go to nasioc or eBay and find a used tdo4 stock wrx turbo for $150-200 it's the best solution. There are actually people who sell them with warranty. Google search used wrx turbo for sale

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
You might want to post your location. There is an Orange County in three different US states I can name, and I'm not even from the US so there must be more Orange Counties.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys sorry for the trouble. i got more info. i been away. so i bough the car for a good price already modded. when i got it it ran fine but after a while the whistle started. i do notice that the whistle is present as soon as the turbo spools up to the set psi. it has an external waste gate and the turbo is huge. notice some slight shaft play. again it has not touch the housing yet. if i avoid wide open throttle everything is cool and no whistle. if i floor it boost i lose boost for a quick sec and its kicks in again. the reason why i thought the turbo was done is because i also now notice severe flutter from my bov. and i think that might have help to deteriorate the turbo. anyway here are some pics of the set up and the turbo. also i don't know which turbo i have i am trying to look at the serial number in the middle part to be more specific. but i do know its a a/r .50 from the engraving on the housing. please take a look and and tell me what you think. i will do a search for topic on boost leaks also to become more acquainted with the subject. thanks guys. also if anyone that is an expert on modding WRXs then i would love to have you take a look at my car. please PM where i can reach you and a quote. thanks again guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i guess its not as bad. now can anyone please suggest a place that know its was around imprezas. i live in orange county ca. irvine costa mesa area. thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Wow. That is heavily modified. It is a huge turbo. There is no intake at all, no MAF... no air filter, relocated coolant res.... Was it fast?

Flutter as in compressor surge - your BOV probably needs to be adjusted. It isn't good for the turbo.

Boost leak does sound likely, and probably in the FMIC tract.

This car needs to be looked at hands on by some with a lot of subaru experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats exactly what I was saying lol can anyone refer me to a shop or member who know their way around this car. I will for someone knowledgeable who can give me an idea to atleast tell me how everything looks. It looks like the plenum is also upside down. Any feesback?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Yeah, reversed intake manifold, rotated turbo. I hope that is a built motor.

Surge Line Tuning

Harmon Motive

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i looked at harmon motive and i could not find an address. i sent them an email and a little while ago. i hear that harmon closed and reopen somewhere in LA. is that right. thanks guy ill try giving them a call later.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Is surge line still there? Tim Bailey was very well thought of last I checked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i googled surge line and it tool me to a page that said it was in oregon. and i live in socal. i will go to the address that harmon has on its website to check it out see if its still there.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
Let your fingers do the walking. Ring them and get info.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
My bad, when I looked for their location I found a thread saying they were visiting there and read it wrong.

If you ended up with functioning built motor and trans out of this, consider yourself lucky. This kind of power is $$ to maintain but it might be a great foundation for a medium build if you scale some things back. If it is stock motor/trans start taking parts off and trying to sell them ASAP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts