ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 wrx and I noticed that you can't hear the turbo,so i looked at the wastegate actuator and it wasnt moving when gas is presses. I hooked up pressure to it and it moved the actuator. Even manually moving it when car is being revved still doesnt spool up the turbo (i am kind of new to turbos). Any ideas what to check or what could be wrong? Thank you in advance

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Pull the turbo (or just pop off the DP) and see if there is any shaft play. Does the wheel spin by hand? Is it hard to spin? Should be able to move freely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the turbo (or just pop off the DP) and see if there is any shaft play. Does the wheel spin by hand? Is it hard to spin? Should be able to move freely.

I just took it off and it seems to spin freely and easy. Here's some pics of it, in case that helps. what could cause the waste gate to not open.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
If the wastegate doesn't open, that means it would overboost...

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
well, it has to be under load for one. It won't really open if you just rev it in Neutral.

Actuator stuck somewhere? Completely hosed or blocked off boost control solenoid?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I could hardly hear my turbo do anything before i put an aftermarket downpipe on it. But it was obvious that it did something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you check the Boost solenoid? Right now the turbo doesnt get hot at all and doesnt make any sound even if i put my ear next to it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a loose hose somewhere? Sounds like it might be as simple as a boost leak.

As Mikie posted above, if you're looking at it while the car is parked and revving it in neutral, it's probably not going to open. The turbo needs load on it to build enough boost for it to open. I assume this is how you're looking at it since I don't know how you'd do it while the car was driving..... ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
dude, it sounds like you have a boost leak. if the wastegate doesnt open it would be at full boost (meaning the lever would not move) does the turbo spin freely? i had a problem with low boost it ended up being the wastegate control solenoid (boost control solenoid) the solenoid valve was stuck closed, causing the wastegate to open only allowing 7 psi. you can test it by applying 12v and a ground to the terminals, you should hear it click and be able to blow air through the nipple on the solenoid. or you can put it on test mode by hooking up the green test wires under the driver side dash, turn the key to the on position and it should send direct current to the solenoid. you should hear it click and you should be able to blow through it when it has direct 12 v. sorry if anything sounds funny, been drinkin a lil.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
boost leak is the least of the worries if the turbo isn't even hot :rotfl:

Maybe he has no uppipe...or no headers? :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I probably would have bought a boost gauge before anything. You might have been suprised to find out nothing was wrong.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I probably would have bought a boost gauge before anything. You might have been suprised to find out nothing was wrong.
+1...

Yes WRXs have a nice amount of power...but its not exactly a huge kick in the pants amount of power...especially depending on how you drive. You can barely hear the turbo do anything on my STI with a G200 CBE.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yeah on my STI you can't really hear the turbo at all. On my '04 you could hear it a little with the stock exhaust, then with a Cobb DP you could really hear it. My kids called it my "airplane car" because of the whine like a jet engine you'd hear. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
haha i asked the same question and both sinster and telfon said the same thing .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts