ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am knew to the turbo secne. But I do know what lagg is. My friend has a bad ass RX"8 !! and man I really can't tell if thier any lagg on that beast of a car! It seems that after 3,4 gear the lagg begans and really picks up around 4100 rpm's(03'wrx) and dies downs around 6ooor rpm's or ealier. And I was wondering what could you do to help the lagg. No mods yet.( just stock)

·
Registered
154 Posts
ummm. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the rx8 a naturally aspirated rotary engine? Henceforth (ha ha - i said henceforth) it does not have turbo and therefore does not have what is commonly known as turbo lag.

That's why it would feel as if there is no lag on it. Do a searchg around here about minimizing lag through exhaust modifications (i.e. up/dp)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
haha, thats one thing about NA engines, they don't have turbo lag. :D

Like the guy before me said...uppipe, turboback and engine management is the best you can do yo reduce turbo lag.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, you wouldn't feel any lag since there is no turbo on the RX-8. Its older brother, the RX-7 came with turbo's, but none on the 8. As for a turbo car, you can feel it pretty distinctly as a buildup of power combined with the sound of the turbo spooling up. Obviously the easiest way is to get a boost gauge and watch it spool and see when it does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dose the e-mangement reduce it by much and what is u-pipe and turboback. Oh Cliff is it do a search thread o rlook for a search thread? Can u just tell me:rolleyes: By the way thanks for ealiear, you saved me from future embarsment:)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
uppipe, downpipe, and do a search.

good luck,

alex g.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Uppipe- pipe before the turbo, contains a restrictive catalytic converter. It's removal and replacement with an aftermarket uppipe will net a 500 RPM increase in spool up time.

Downpipe- The pipe that connects the turbo to the exhaust system. It's removal and replacement with an aftermarket downpipe nets around a 300 RPM increase in spool up time. The factory downpipe is extremely restrictive.

Engine Mangement- Optimizes power gains according to your mods.

Thats the short version of it. For more info, do a search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts