Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbo query

So what is the difference between the VF and PE turbos? Is it just a different brand, or do they serve a different purpose? One more...on the VF turbos, the higher the number goes the bigger the turbo? Thanks:)

Fahd

·
Registered
145 Posts
power enterprises are big an expensive. the vf series is a little more "poor man friendly". Actually the numbers don't mean anything for the vf series. I think it is just the order in which they were made.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaizenfighter said:
power enterprises are big an expensive.
I can't tell if you're meaning for this to be a bad or good thing:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Turbo query

WRXin' said:
So what is the difference between the VF and PE turbos? Is it just a different brand, or do they serve a different purpose? One more...on the VF turbos, the higher the number goes the bigger the turbo? Thanks:)

Fahd
Hello there. I am the one responsible for bringing the Power Enterprise turbos to the i-Club folks about a year ago and sales of the 450ps PE1820 and 350ps PE1818 just exploded! The VF turbos are OEM turbos produced by IHI specifically for the Subaru STi with V~Passenger Vehicles & F~Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru). IHI which stands for Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries is the manufacturer for all IHI designated turbochargers. PE or Power Enterprise on the other hand is a company that buys turbos from IHI and modifies them to high performance 'aftermarket' standards. There are only two bolt-on PE turbos for the Subaru, notably PE1818 and PE1820.

The numbering on both the VF and PE turbos are for reference purposes and not necessarily indicative of its 'performance'. On GC8/GF8 WRX STi, the VF turbos have gone 'smaller' from VF22 to 23, 24, 28, 29 while the release of the New Age STi GDB saw the introduction of a new breed of VF turbos with a bigger compressor wheel namely, VF30, VF34, VF35 for example. The previous VF turbos (VF22,23,24,28,29) have been ball bearing cored while the later ones (VF30, VF35) are Divided Thrust Bearing type core, with the VF34 being a Ball Bearing.

Not sure if this is helpful or caused more confusion. This is afterall motorsports ;)

Oh, and those of you who have not seen the photos I took of a huge IHI, MHI, Garrett and KKK turbo warehouse I recently visited, here they are [no, the gold plated compressor wheel replica is not for sale, it's a gift from IHI :)]

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=139975538610_42638715503&US=0&collid=30562615503

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
that is the absolute MOST concise, accurate and helpful aftermarket turbo summary i have ever seen here.

thank you Jan!

dR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thank you Jan! I got some education out of that as well. Of course, I don't think I'll ever remember what IHI stands for (the first part of it at least :p ), but at least I've heard it.

Oh, welcome aboard the board!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Turbo query

Jan Shim said:

Hello there. I am the one responsible for bringing the Power Enterprise turbos to the i-Club folks about a year ago and sales of the 450ps PE1820 and 350ps PE1818 just exploded! The VF turbos are OEM turbos produced by IHI specifically for the Subaru STi with V~Passenger Vehicles & F~Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru). IHI which stands for Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries is the manufacturer for all IHI designated turbochargers. PE or Power Enterprise on the other hand is a company that buys turbos from IHI and modifies them to high performance 'aftermarket' standards. There are only two bolt-on PE turbos for the Subaru, notably PE1818 and PE1820.

The numbering on both the VF and PE turbos are for reference purposes and not necessarily indicative of its 'performance'. On GC8/GF8 WRX STi, the VF turbos have gone 'smaller' from VF22 to 23, 24, 28, 29 while the release of the New Age STi GDB saw the introduction of a new breed of VF turbos with a bigger compressor wheel namely, VF30, VF34, VF35 for example. The previous VF turbos (VF22,23,24,28,29) have been ball bearing cored while the later ones (VF30, VF35) are Divided Thrust Bearing type core, with the VF34 being a Ball Bearing.

Not sure if this is helpful or caused more confusion. This is afterall motorsports ;)

Oh, and those of you who have not seen the photos I took of a huge IHI, MHI, Garrett and KKK turbo warehouse I recently visited, here they are [no, the gold plated compressor wheel replica is not for sale, it's a gift from IHI :)]

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=139975538610_42638715503&US=0&collid=30562615503
Wow:eek:...that is the greatest explanation I've gotten about this topic. I think I can go turbo-question-free for a while now;) I thank you dearly for the great explanation Jan:)

·
1,911 Posts
One small correction Jan. The PE1818F and PE1820F both flow the same CFM and produce the same power. Only difference is in the shape of the HP curve in relation to RPM, not in ultimate power numbers since I have achieved 420 HP out of a PE1818F quite easily on pump 93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
God -- so one spools at lower RPMs and the other at higher? If so, which ones which?

·
Registered
16 Posts
God said:
One small correction Jan. The PE1818F and PE1820F both flow the same CFM and produce the same power. Only difference is in the shape of the HP curve in relation to RPM, not in ultimate power numbers since I have achieved 420 HP out of a PE1818F quite easily on pump 93 octane fuel.
Hello Dan. Yes, the PE1818F and PE1820F are two identical turbos except the the PE1818 has a smaller P18 exhaust housing while the PE1820 has a bigger P20 housing, much like the VF22/23's P20 ex. housing. The 350/450ps ratings are official figures from PE but you and I have seen the compressor map from Power Enterprise and certainly I have seen your dyno graph on the output of these fantastic but costly aftermarket turbos.

As a generalisation, a P20 exhaust housing size has more lag than say it's P18 counterpart. Exactly how much more lag from one to another is all relative to the 'breathing' mods and boost levels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WRXin' said:
God -- so one spools at lower RPMs and the other at higher? If so, which ones which?
The PE1818F (P18 ex. housing) spools quicker than the PE1820.
Attached are side by side photos of the PE1818 and PE1820. There are identical in everywhere except for the P18 and P20 housing that is identifiable only through the numbers 18 and 20 embossed inside the up-pipe housing.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O-wood said:
Just curious on how much damage those turbos will do to my wallet. How much are they?
Well, I did some research, and found that they both cost $1695.75 at German Autowerks:eek:. Thay's pretty pricey.

God or Jan -- Are these fine pieces so expensive for a reason, or can one get a less expensive IHI turbo with the same amount of power?

·
1,911 Posts
My price is same and for that price you get the most reliable and most powerful bolt on turbo possible. No you can not even come close to the same reliability and power with a VF turbo. Personally, the VF turbos are for the small turbo guys. The serious players go for the PE turbos. The reallly crazy 600+ HP guys go for the Garrett/HKS turbos.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
God said:
The reallly crazy 600+ HP guys go for the Garrett/HKS turbos.
HKS??? Really??? I always knew that HKS made great performance products, but I never know that their turbos were of exceptional quality. Hmmm...I guess I just never knew. Thanks God:)

·
1,911 Posts
HKS make beautiful turbos. Actually they are made by Garrett which are an Allied Signal company which in turn are owned by Honeywell. All ball bearing Garett and HKS turbos are ceramic ball bearing and made in Japan. Their quality and performance is unbeatable IMO but then again, they are pricey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I 'm one of the "smaller turbo" guys and the VF series is fine for a limited application. The VF 24 or VF 28 does well with the stock ECU, fuel and engine innards. So, I'm soon to get a VF 24 and anticipate some lower end grunt but definetley limited top end power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WRXin' said:

HKS??? Really??? I always knew that HKS made great performance products, but I never know that their turbos were of exceptional quality. Hmmm...I guess I just never knew. Thanks God:)
Yep! Their turbochargers are of exceptional quality and respect. I would go as far as saying the HKS name in turbos alone is synonymous with hardcore performance!

HKS GT2835 Bolt-on Kit for GC/GF8 WRX/STi. This kit is now with [JenisonWRX] of i-Club
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=124371&highlight=HKS

Close up of the HKS GT2835

HKS GT3037s. Custom fabrication required. This kit is with DJ in Venezuela [DJIMPREZA] of i-Club

The JUN custom Turbo Kit comprising Greddy TD06L2-20G, Greddy Type R Ext. Wastegate & JUN turbine adapter! This is THE KIT that is fitted to JUN's own 2.2L Stroked car. This kit is now with Hank Walker [Must50] of i-Club

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, seriously! I so need to graduate from college and start making money so I can afford some cool stuff like this. Soon my friends...very very soon:D

1 - 20 of 163 Posts