Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At rallyperformance.com I've noticed them selling silicon hoses for the WRX turbo. Unfortunally they are only in blue and red. They look pretty gay to me. Anyone know of alternatives? Do they really increase performance?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well colour is obviously a subjective issue. Depending on the shade, I suppose, blue or red can look very nice in my opinion. However, I note that there is a functional purpose for replacing those rubber hoses with Silicon ones. Silicon maintains a relatively low temperature compared to rubber. This is important if you plan to add a larger turbo and crank higher boost(as you know, more boost=compressed gas(air)=heat). Heat and pressure can result in expansion and possible cracking of rubber hoses while Silicon tend to maintain shape much better. In theory, they are performance mods but most use them to dress up the look of the engine bay.

·
1,911 Posts
It also eliminates the kinks as the tubo inlet hose thing is very restrictive. One problem though is that I've heard of the silicone collapsing so if you can find an alluminum or stainless one even better but the only solid one I've seen is the ridiculously overpriced STi unit ($825). Maybe I should make one. Hmm. . . . .

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell yes!

Dan, you should make them! I'd be in for those. Include a raised 'GodSpeed' logo on the pipes!

My friend had a GS-T with replaced Greddy turbo piping and he said it made a big difference. I think the pipes were aluminum and they looked bad-ass!:cool:

-- Rich

G

·
aluminum hoses

Hello,
If you are reffering to the hose that goes from the turbo to the intake I do not know a replacement for that bot if you are reffering to the Y-pipe under the intercooler you can pick up an aluminum one with silicon ends for $225.00 From autocaresubaru.com I hope that helps some of you if not I am sorry. I have a silicon one and I run 15psi and there is no colapse. in the hose but I am not saying that it could not happen. I have a full samco co. kit from teagues.com:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's referring to the three hoses Ken sells as a set... turbo outlet to I/C, I/C to Manifold, BOV vent back to turbo inlet, AFAIK.

Do you mean you're gonna make the same thing STi sells for $800? The MAF to turbo inlet pipe? I'd like one of those... not for $800 though.

·
1,911 Posts
Actually the EGT bung for the Defi gauge will be in the downpipes. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The downpipes will be ready in the coming weeks. I meant the intake pipe probably will be ready in the winter months. The EGT bung for the stock EGT sensor is inthe uppipe. An extra EGT in the uppipe is pretty pointless. You need it either in the manifold or right after the turbo outlet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts