ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
completely stock 2002 wrx, 23000 miles... when I'm boosting, the higher the boost, the louder my turbo screams... It does sound neat, but it cant be normal.

Its like a whistling sound, but more metallic sounding.. I still hit full stock boost (13.5psi) but I have a feeling a bearing is shot, and will eventually kill my turbo?

Gunna go to the dealership tomorrow. :(

edit: im new to turbos but most of my friends arent and agree that something is ****ed up. its louder than a turbo shoulpd be, you can clearly hear it screaming even with windows closed and even on the highway

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
Could be a UP leak.

Does it sound like it could be pulling a squirrel through it and the squirrel is screaming at the top of its lungs? You could do a visual inspection of some of the UP to look for carbon deposit on the outside of it to confirm this.

phat pappy p said:
completely stock 2002 wrx, 23000 miles... when I'm boosting, the higher the boost, the louder my turbo screams... It does sound neat, but it cant be normal.

Its like a whistling sound, but more metallic sounding.. I still hit full stock boost (13.5psi) but I have a feeling a bearing is shot, and will eventually kill my turbo?

Gunna go to the dealership tomorrow. :(

edit: im new to turbos but most of my friends arent and agree that something is ****ed up. its louder than a turbo shoulpd be, you can clearly hear it screaming even with windows closed and even on the highway

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, definately check all the exhaust parts pre turbo. I had an exhaust leak at the manifold and it sounded horrible under full boost. I was sure the turbo was going but after a couple of turns of the wrench, all better.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? im going to go out and jack 'er up and look. Its complete stock.. so it would be a manufacturer defect if the uppipe did loosen a bit? or is that normal?

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
if you're completely stock and you don't feel like poking around just wait until you can take it into the dealer. If that's the case they'll likely pull the uppipe and replace the gaskets on it. It could be at the top of the UP which you'd have to pull the downpipe for. If it comes to the point you have to pull your downpipe just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, eventually I'm going to install a new uppipe and downpipe... within a few weeks probably. So Id rather not go putz around at the dealership...

What are signs of a bearing going bad in the turbo? If its just an uppipe leak.. I can deal with it until I install my dp/up.

I dont know what a squirrel scream sounds like.. its not as high pitch as a whistle, but far louder... overrides the engine sound of course.

From what i could tell, theres no carbon deposits on the uppipe.. one of the bolts that connects the uppipe to manifold looked like it had been messed with before though - silver showing through on the edges of the rusty bolt from a wrench

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I would definitely take it to the dealer if I were you. It sounds like you have a pre-turbo exhaust leak and it'll save you the headache of tearing everything apart. If the car is warrantied then just tlet them deal with it. Once you start modding you're not gonna have that option so I would definitely take advantage of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ that was their guess, too. he says its coming from driver side... I thought it was passenger side myself.. but whatever...

its under warranty, ill just have to drive my moms PT Cruiser for a day.... Big Pimpin'

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bump. The dealership told me this..

before i had the car someone must have painted the intake manifold (red) and didnt replace it right. So, this most likely voids my warranty. ****ing cock suckers. I'm going to the fleet manager who sold me it and see if he can pull some strings...

The wont know if my problem is under warranty or not until they take the intake manifold off (est: 400$) so I just took my car back, for now. I'm going to try to get a sound clip of it and post it, and maybe someone without their head up their ass(subaru dealership obviously does) what be able to tell what the problem is.

edit: they also put in 3 bolts, that werwe apparantly missing from the intake manifold setup.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
if they sold you the car 'as is without warranty' I could unerstand that but if they sold you that car used with a warranty they can't void it because of that. THey sold it to you with a warranty, they should back it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, they sold it to me with warranty. Not as is.

Anyway.. would removing the intake manifold and replacing it be considered a void of warranty?

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
You shouldn't do it, they sold the thing to you with a warranty. Let them honor it, or talk to your lawyer.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i going to say it's an upipe leak. Back last winter i had a terrible noise like the one you decribed. I checked my boost all the time and it stayed the same. So it came down to a bad gasket $20 bucks to replace. I would check that out man, because if your turbo was going bad you wouldn't have boost pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well.. I was planning on replacing my uppipe with a stock gutted one, anyway...but they were thinking it was the intake manifold.. but for all i know, they just want to make an easy buck.

granted im a novice, I'm not dumb and will have plenty of guides for the install. going to get new gaskets and all, and also be installing a new downpipe. Going to try another dealership and get it fixed before i try myself

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do leaks in the intake manifold cause screaching noises like that? Sounds like a jet engine almost, just not as loud.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wouldn't you have boost pressure problems with a leak in the intake manifold? I know with pre-turbo exhaust leaks, that full boost can still be achieved.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ thats the kind of info im looking for.. thanks...

I could either ask them to replace the uppipe, and maybe get some free new gaskets in the process.. or just wait till I install my new uppipe and see if that fixes it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts