ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie to wrx and to turbo so please bare with me.
i just bought an 08 wrx only 60k miles, 3 days later wierd sounds started happening under my hood. I pulled it in my shop and i was shooting out smoke like it was on fire lol. I drained the oil and smoke started coming out the pan... looked at the filter and notice small specs of metal of some kind. I took it to the dealer and they said my turbo shaft broke and grinded against eachother. So basically 2700 for the turbo and pan cleaning and they said i might have to replace the intercooler for an additional 1000.... my question is- is it really nessassary to change the intercooler because metal could be in it and doesnt this put a risk in my motor being f*cked?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,509 Posts
newbie to wrx and to turbo so please bare with me.
i just bought an 08 wrx only 60k miles, 3 days later wierd sounds started happening under my hood. I pulled it in my shop and i was shooting out smoke like it was on fire lol. I drained the oil and smoke started coming out the pan... looked at the filter and notice small specs of metal of some kind. I took it to the dealer and they said my turbo shaft broke and grinded against eachother. So basically 2700 for the turbo and pan cleaning and they said i might have to replace the intercooler for an additional 1000.... my question is- is it really nessassary to change the intercooler because metal could be in it and doesnt this put a risk in my motor being f*cked?
If you are in the USA, the turbo is part of the emission system. Check your owner manual to see what the warranty period is on the turbo. Note that in my state, the emissions warranty is longer than any other warranty for any other part of the car, and is not dependent on previous maintenance or claims.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If nothing is covered under warranty then I would find a local shop to do the work for you. It'll cost about half as much and you'll end up with better parts.

Did you buy privately or at a dealer? To have a failure like that after only 3 days is pretty shady of the seller...

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,509 Posts
A turbo failure should be covered under the emissions warranty. I'd urge the OP to check the owner manual for the warranty terms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea kinda messed up so i told the independent dealer that i bought it from that i want that price reinbersed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts