Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on my way to work this morning, when a black Toyota Echo started reving on me. At first I said to my self " What is this cat thinking off". The light turned green and that little Echo took off really quick. At the next light he began to rev on me again and I was saying to my self this cat is one crazy fool. Then I rolled down my window and heard a blowoff valve. That Little Echo had a Turbo inside.The light turned green and he took of. As he drove away, I noticed a stiker on his trunk that read Turbo inside.
Has anyone seen one of these things before? Are they fast ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Now here's a hybrid we won't win against.

The Honda concept at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show. "This mid-engine all-wheel-drive car is powered by a 3.5-liter i-VTEC V6. The hybrid system uses Honda's Integrated Motor Assist, the type used on the Insight. The V6 drives the rear wheels, and there are two additional electric motors used to power the front wheels. Honda says this package puts out 400 horsepower, while still achieving very good fuel economy. The car comes with ATTS, the torque transfer system found on the Honda Prelude, as well as stability control, for excellent handling characteristics." Edmunds.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sure and it will only cost the consumer around $50K. Although Honda has been making AWD Civic's and Integras in Japan for years. Just never any with a decent engine in them. You can build up the little ass cars. There are tiny 1800lb "K" cars in Japan with close to 300hp that put in close to identical times at the track as the big motored GTR's and Supra's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A turboed echo might be fast because they are so light. But it is still FWD tho, the toque steer must be a bitch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never raced the Echo, but the little thing took of quick. I have been doing some investigating, and there is a kit for them. The kit produces 160 to 170 crank hp. The cars come with 108 hp from the factory and weighs 2000 lbs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
yep.... I have seen his setup, too... down at the illegal drags outside of DC (New Carollton Station)...

It was funny watching everyone chilling and seeing this Echo go by with a little pssssqueak sound... everyones head snapped (at least those who knew what that noise meant, BOV=Turbo which normally does not = Echo)...man did he have people talking!!

EIP did a really good job on the install, very clean. If I remember correctly all he had room for was a T28 or T25... I remember a DSM reference in regards to the turbo. And I think he said he was pushing about 10lbs.... this on what I believe is a 1.5 or 6 liter vvti-l engine. I think he said it was VERY similiar to the Celicas 1.8 liter....

He told me that he ran 13.7.... but could not remember the trap speed. He also said he was making about 220hp... not sure if that was at the wheels or an estimated flywheel number...

He had gauges mounted upright in the dash that kinda gave a HUD type look to them (even if they were backward in the glass).

His AVC-R was installed very nicely in the middle console/dash.

Along with the turbo install he had some really nice street rubber and what looked to be a pretty decent suspension setup at all 4 corners...

All in all.... I walked away astonished and confused. I kept asking myself "WHY?" But by doing that, I answered my own question..... but, I guess you gotta give the guy credit....

def

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car cost 12 G's turbo kit and suspension anothe 5 g's. 17 g's for a 13 sec car not to bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
an echo IMO are an extreme waste of a vehicle, but i suppose if you want to make it go faster, you could. In any case, i'll race him!!!!

---RaCinWRX

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts