Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering what aftermarket turbos you guys are running on your cars.... could you give the name, price, place you got it from and what boost it ranges from low to high....
thanks in advance.... i cant wait to get my new one....

·
Registered
94 Posts
How about we flip it around, you tell us what you are looking for, and we can give you some suggestions.. :)

jb

·
Registered
72 Posts
God said:
If you want 420+ HP go for the PE turbos.
If you want 330-360 HP go for the VF30/VF34
If you just want 300-315 HP go for the VF29
I don't think so. Not on the WRX running regular 93-94 octane gas. Try dropping 50-70 hp off each of these number and you're in the ball park on the WRX.

Man, I'd love to see a WRX on pump gas making 330 hp with a VF-30 turbo.

Carlo

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sheez... what i want to do? just what everyone else wants to do... make my WRX one of the fastest cars on the street.... within reason, you know?
id like to have are 370-400 AWHP in the end.... so how about some suggestions...? thanks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Since I'm in the market for a turbo as well (maybe... in the near future... Well, I can dream can't I? :) I'm following a threat called "turbo query" very closely. You may want to do a search for it and check it out. Very cool stuff being discussed!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
It's not that simple. Or maybe it is. You're saying you want to build a dragster, right? Not what everyone wants.....not me anyway. I would've bought a Camaro or something if I wanted a dragster.

Dan already told you. 400hp = PE. Obviously you need to do more than just replace the turbo to get those power numbers :rolleyes: .

·
1,911 Posts
I should clarify that those numbers are at the crank and yes you can get those numbers on regular 93 octane. I know because I have put together over a dozen local cars with various staged packages and all are wicked fast. My car put down 311 whp (about 390 crank HP) with just a stage II+ package on 93 octane. We will dyno the Stage III soon. The ECU is being finished up in a few weeks (didn't have enough time last Friday although that header did wonders for drivability, smoothness and off boost power).

·
1,911 Posts
pdrpowerofWRX said:
sheez... what i want to do? just what everyone else wants to do... make my WRX one of the fastest cars on the street.... within reason, you know?
id like to have are 370-400 AWHP in the end.... so how about some suggestions...? thanks
Won't get that on stock block. No way no how. You'll break a piston before that happens. 330-340 whp is about maximum that I would want to push the block on an everyday basis. That's about 425ish crank HP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
God said:
I should clarify that those numbers are at the crank and yes you can get those numbers on regular 93 octane. I know because I have put together over a dozen local cars with various staged packages and all are wicked fast. My car put down 311 whp (about 390 crank HP) with just a stage II+ package on 93 octane. We will dyno the Stage III soon. The ECU is being finished up in a few weeks (didn't have enough time last Friday although that header did wonders for drivability, smoothness and off boost power).
OK, then I'll say your numbers are low then :) It's hard to say because people talk different calculations to figure out crank horse. I know it's safe to say on TurboXS's dyno Phil and I have both pulled 288 and 284 on regular pump gas with the VF-30 with basically a Stage 4 kit and larger Top Mount IC.

Carlo

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Carlo is set to revolutionize what we think of the VF30. I'm right behind him in many respects, but no N2O for.

Clubwrx.net standard: All HP with be SAE corrected AWHP now. Right :rolleyes: when hell freezes over.

-Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
pdrpowerofWRX said:
370-400awhp? Do NOT waste your time with ''bolt on" turbos. You need something much larger, and you need to totally rework the way the turbo sits in the engine bay to accomplish this. Either a full kit, or a custom job. At the minimum it will require a new uppipe/downpipe (with wastegate), probably a bit of work on the inlet and piping to the FMIC that you'll undoubtedly need. On the intake, just run a big ass pipe to a large filter, because you'd have got rid of the MAF for some MAP-based stand alone management.

Also, I'd doubt the stock block would last very long at those levels, look into building up the block. We won't even get into the drivetrain at this time.

jb

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, ok... i think my goals were a tad bit to high. when considering what i mentioned earlier... i can agree that if i want that much hp at the wheels, then i better wait for my project 5.0 to start up...
with my WRX, i just want a car that puts down good 1/4 mile time cards and still be able to drive everyday... so im guessing that 300-340 hp at the wheels will do the trick... you guys with the vf30 are putting down some nice hp numbers.... but do you guys have nitrous too?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Whats your definition of good times? "Stage 4" for about 5k is good enough to thouroughly embarass almost every daily driven at the track I run at. Those are only putting on a reliable basis about 275 to the wheels. High 12?

Try that with the slippery 5.0

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Flex said:
Whats your definition of good times? "Stage 4" for about 5k is good enough to thouroughly embarass almost every daily driven at the track I run at. Those are only putting on a reliable basis about 275 to the wheels. High 12?

Try that with the slippery 5.0
DAMN STRAIGHT. :D :D :p

-Jim

·
895 Posts
pdrpowerofWRX said:
ok, ok... i think my goals were a tad bit to high. when considering what i mentioned earlier... i can agree that if i want that much hp at the wheels, then i better wait for my project 5.0 to start up...
with my WRX, i just want a car that puts down good 1/4 mile time cards and still be able to drive everyday... so im guessing that 300-340 hp at the wheels will do the trick... you guys with the vf30 are putting down some nice hp numbers.... but do you guys have nitrous too?
when i was at the 1/4 one day, i met a wrx owner who had the cobb FMIC - he was joking about how he wanted to rotate the engine block 180degrees so the piping for the FMIC could be shortened by about 5-6 ft :D :D :D lol, is that even possible?

·
Registered
72 Posts
From the looks of it he could get a couple of things custom made so that he rotate the intake manifold and then move or remove the AC and move the position of the alternator and he could use less tubing with less bends and be better off.

No you couldn't rotate the block :eek:

Carlo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Search i-club for pictures Imprezers setup, I believe he is running the fancy greddy kit with a rotated manifold. Very sexy stuff.

jb

·
895 Posts
Carlo said:
From the looks of it he could get a couple of things custom made so that he rotate the intake manifold and then move or remove the AC and move the position of the alternator and he could use less tubing with less bends and be better off.

No you couldn't rotate the block :eek:

Carlo
....oh. lol thats what i meant--- rotate the intake manifold so that the alternateor is in the back or something

still sounds like a cool idea - anyone done this?

·
1,911 Posts
Yes, many race companies in Japan do this but you'll need to either A: make a huge hood bulgs so that the TB will clear it (along with custom intake manifold) or 2: rotate your manifold and relocate your alternator. Is it worth it? Not in the least. Not unless you're building an all out race car with 600+ HP.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts