ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So earlier today on my drive to work. I started thinking on how the turbo cooling system worked for our cars. Do you guys know whether the coolant line to the turbo bypasses the thermostat from the water pump(so coolant is constantly flowing)?

I'm just trying to satisfy a curiosity here.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
So earlier today on my drive to work. I started thinking on how the turbo cooling system worked for our cars. Do you guys know whether the coolant line to the turbo bypasses the thermostat from the water pump(so coolant is constantly flowing)?

I'm just trying to satisfy a curiosity here.
It is not a bypass per se as the thermostat controls general circulation at the pump but cannot because of its location limit flow in localized circuits. However the flow is sometimes passive and sometimes active, in that the pump is not always active when we see localized flow from the reservoir to the turbo -- the motor can be off and we still have flow, and this is what makes the system a clever touch.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It is not a bypass per se as the thermostat controls general circulation at the pump but cannot because of its location limit flow in localized circuits. However the flow is sometimes passive and sometimes active, in that the pump is not always active when we see localized flow from the reservoir to the turbo -- the motor can be off and we still have flow, and this is what makes the system a clever touch.
Thats a better explanation lol

·
29,234 Posts
Thanks Kronos!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL... This made my head hurt a little bit. Kinda reminded me of my college text books. It does make sense I think... One thing I'm still confused about is the typical flow, let say when the water pump/system active is the flow coming from the turbo to the reservoir or the other way around. I know that with passive system the flow may reverse. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
29,234 Posts
I was afraid you'd ask... I've not looked at it carefully since I did my timing belt and water pump, but from what I saw, water is pumped (when pumped) from the right side cylinder head to the turbo, and then to the reservoir or tank with the rad cap on it. The reservoir then has split flow to the rad and directly to the overflow tank that is plastic and on the nose of the car behind the headlamp, via the rad cap relief.

When the motor is off, the flow between the turbo and the rad cap reservoir becomes localized and I think the coolant changes phase but am unsure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thanks for the clarification. Pretty cool how they design these things.

·
29,234 Posts
PS. Or maybe it doesn't change phase, again, unsure, now doubting that. The flow direction when the motor is on, I'm sure of though. Head to turbo to reservoir.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS. Or maybe it doesn't change phase, again, unsure, now doubting that. The flow direction when the motor is on, I'm sure of though. Head to turbo to reservoir.
LOL I think the mystery grows. Let say that the phase does not change... Why would the engineers put a reservoir above the turbo. :confused:

·
29,234 Posts
LOL I think the mystery grows. Let say that the phase does not change... Why would the engineers put a reservoir above the turbo. :confused:
Maybe because you'd still get local circulation even without evaporation I think? I don't know frankly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe because you'd still get local circulation even without evaporation I think? I don't know frankly.
Yeah I can only guess as well. All I can think of is the hot coolant from the turbo itself would rise to the reservoir and be replaced by cooler coolant from either the block or from the top reservoir. So pretty much what you're thinking. Thanks!.. I believe that's good enough for me. Unless someone else know better than us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts