Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think of this statement by Subaru? This came out of the End Wrench, Fall 2002, Number 20. Does this really mean I don't need a turbo timer anymore?

start quote.

it is not necessary to perform a cool down / idling period procedure on Subaru WRX turbo models, as was recommended with past turbo models. The current 2.0 liter turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about a cool down is nor included in the Impreza Owner's Manual.

The heat contained in the turbocharger begins to vaporize the coolant at the turbocharger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor then enters the coolant resevoir tank, which is the highest point of the cooling system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbocharger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action reduces the turbocharger temperature. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbocharger has stopped or cooled down.

end quote.

Thanks!
Barthold

·
980 Posts
keep 1 car magazine in the car at all times. if you feel the need for a turbo timer, sit in the car for 1 minute and read. you also save >100$

chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just use your common sense. Would you want to just shut off the engine after you blast down the quarter mile just because Subaru said you don't need to cool the turbo down? Probably not. I bought a turbo timer not only for the cool down period, but for the other features it has, like voltage meter, 1/4 mies, 0-60mph, 0-100mph times, shift light etc. And it looks damn cool at night. ;)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not buying that. Maybe they don't know that we REALLY drive our cars, or maybe I'm trying to justify the fact that I already have a TT :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Technically you can't deny the facts:
There is a cooling system in effect after the engine is turned off. The coolant will re-circulate due to basic physics.

Is it enough?
Subaru says so. And replacing turbos under warranty gets expensive quick.

What does leaving the engine on do?
Keeps the oil pump going to maintain a good lube. Does the turbo need this after the engine is off? I don't know.

TT's have mutiple other functions.

I think this option falls into 3 categories:

Some people just want all the toys and gadgets> will get TT

Some people change their oil every 1000 miles and/or use expensive Synthetic oils> will get TT

Typical Joe Shmoe> will get TT if there's a good deal or as a gift or hand-me-down.

'nuff said on this topic.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
QuickSilver said:

TT's have mutiple other functions.
Yeah they do. In the morning, I set mine to the highest setting, which is 9 minutes. I then take out my key, and let the car warm up while I'm nice and warm inside my house :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok now lets all get a grip. Lets say you dont let it cool down, and the worse case is it decreases the life of your turbo by lets say 20k miles.. Isn't that 20k miles quicker that you can give your wife/girl an excuse that you NEED a new turbo??

Jeeeeez- I run it hard and shut it off quick ON PURPOSE! I hope Subaru of America is wrong!

·
Registered
555 Posts
While we're going this way...does anyone know what the symptoms of an aging turbo would be? Just less boost over time? Are there any other parts that will get worn along w/ the turbo?

Is there ANYONE who replaced their turbo because it got old??? That said, what was your mileage?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
My TT is my boost gauge too...for ~$100 you get a digital boost gauge, with peak hold and an overboost warning, plus it tracks lap times AND it's extra insurance for my turbo...works for me! :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
i got tired of sitting in the car waiting for the turbo to cool off... i mean, there is only so many new mags i can read a month and i only have so many cds to listen to... ...plus i got tired of being late to movies and such because i had to wait for my turbo to cool down.
so im glad i got my hks tt type 0 with the WRX harness... got a great deal on them both... like 85 shipped.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The turbo is covered under the Emissions warranty, 3 years/ 36,000 miles.

This topic has been beaten to death so many times even "IT'S" tired of hearing about it. Sorry for being an ass.

Oh ya, lap times huh Armin? ;) You know that means driving your car on a race track don't you? Are we gonna see you out there with us next season? :)

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Akiata said:

Oh ya, lap times huh Armin? ;) You know that means driving your car on a race track don't you? Are we gonna see you out there with us next season? :)

[email protected]
Actually...you probably will! :D Wanna upgrade my brakes first though...*wink wink nudge nudge*

·
Registered
258 Posts
I will sell you a set of stoptechs for 2000 installed. Just pay me the money in cash! ;)

I'm going through withdrawls now that there aren't any autoxes or track events. I have started driving fast again. I NEED spring to get here......

p@

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
$2000 cash?

Well damn man...gonna have to wait until Spring for that...heheh

·
Registered
106 Posts
Akiata said:
I'm going through withdrawls now that there aren't any autoxes or track events. I have started driving fast again. I NEED spring to get here......
For those of us who live in a cold winter climate, the ice trials (autocross/rallycross on a frozen lake) start in about 3 weeks. Spring schming. We got this thing covered year-round. ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think the horse is dead...

We can stop beating it now.

Sorry to the new guys on this board for whom this stuff is not old.
But if you really cared that much, reviewing old maintenance threads really should have been your first Homework assignment.

Only new info would be what I already asked a couple of posts ago...anyone actually change out their turbo due to maintenance and not upgrade?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
QuickSilver said:
I think the horse is dead...

Sorry to the new guys on this board for whom this stuff is not old.
But if you really cared that much, reviewing old maintenance threads really should have been your first Homework assignment.
That is what I did. I searched and read turbo timer threads over and over again. Almost all simply say 'you need one if you care about your car' or some variation of that. No where did I find (maybe I didn't look far enough, but it not hard to miss something because of the volume of posts) what Subaru had to say on it.

Thus I went and found what Subaru officially had to say about cool down periods, and posted that here. It Seemed like new information, useful to a bunch of people.

Barthold

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.