Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a dealer about turbo cool down after driving. The way I understand it is that a turbo car should have a cool down time/idle time after driven. Thats what the aftermarket timers do, right? The dealer told me that the WRX has gravity back flow of oil so that you don't have to let the car idle after driving. Is this dealer BS or what?

·
Registered
170 Posts
General concensus is, if you have been driving hard, don't just pull in to a parking space and shut down the engine immediately. There is a thread somewhere in the forum on this:
Turbo cool down
This should help a little.

I personally will be getting a turbo timer to use as a boost gauge with my MBC. Check out the Blitz DTT-DC.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're wasting gas...
+1....and time

Let's say you drive your car at a minimum twice a day. If you followed the erroneously recommended 90 second cool off time, as previously mentioned, that would cost you 3minutes/day.....or 21 minutes/week......or 18 hours/year....or 52 days over a 70 year life span!!!! Stop wasting your life waiting for your subie's snail to "cool down"!!!!!

·
Æternum
16,152 Posts
was this a merge or did an 8 year old thread just get resurrected?

Older turbo'd cars only had oil piping. Newer turbos have oil + coolant. The coolant continues to flow after the car is turned off (until the t-stat closes)

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
6,611 Posts
Unfortunately the worst part about the WRX's is the only way to properly cool the turbo is to drive to the fortress of solitutde.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Wow...an 8-1/2 year bump. That may be approaching a record.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Half the folks that currently post weren't old enough to drive when this thread died. :tongue:

·
Registered
35 Posts
not to change the subject, but can i stop wasting my life away. i think proper turbo warm up time should be important. if not some one plz correct me. i just don't want to spool the turbo w/o any oil in the berings.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,820 Posts
i think proper turbo warm up time should be important. if not some one plz correct me.
What does your manual say about warming up the car?

i just don't want to spool the turbo w/o any oil in the berings.
I don't see how that would be possible if the motor is running. If so, this implies that the manual's wording is in there for other (valid) reasons.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts