Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have got a turbo back? Are you happy with it? Where did you get it and how much? Did you get 1 high flow cat or no cat?

This seems like it should be the first major $ mod. Cobb's web site dosn't say what size theirs is i'm assuming 3". I would like to retain the twin tip look. I'm new to this, what are the things to look for when shoping for one?

I'm also curious if the power gains are felt (seat of your pants not dyno). I also don't want it to be too noisy and passing emmisions without having to put the old one back on would be nice.

G

·
Just bought a turbo back exhaust system from M2 Performance. It is a 3" system with either 3" dual tips or 4" single tip. I got the 4" single because I'm going to Willow Springs for the TCRA racing/driving school this weekend and dual wouldn't ship until Monday. ISR is putting it on for me on Friday.

There is a video that features the exhaust courtasy of www.clubsti.com. Video

And finally here is Philip's picture of the system with both the single and dual back boxes. Picture

Matt

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: KarmaK ]

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: KarmaK ]

·
Registered
161 Posts
How much do they want for this thing? Where can you get it cheaper?

G

·
M2 turbo back is $1050. I've also seen the MRT turbo back exhausts for:

Turbo back exhaust with no center muffler (straight pipe) and single tip - $925
Turbo back exhaust with no center muffler (straight pipe) and twin tip - $970
Turbo back exhaust with center muffler (resonator) and single tip - $970
Turbo back exhaust with center muffler (resonator) and twin tip - $1015

MRT is from Dan at
Vivid Racing

Matt
Also in Blaze Yellow :D

G

·
BPM 3" turbo back exhaust for 1295
stainless with no down pipe cat and with dump tube for turbo. Also high flow center cat for emission reasons....also the downpipe is stainless also but hpc coated for heat exchange and flow

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was planning on going with the M2. I like the twin tips (no coffee cans for me,please)

But what is the center muffler (resonator) ?
Is it for sound only? I imagine it would increase backpressure.

G

·
I also got the M2 about 3 weeks ago and am very happy with it. Lag is now minimal and more power up top. Fatter torque curve. Quiet when cruising but fairly loud when ripped. The sound is addicting. :D

Got the dual tip so it looks stock unless you look closely. Was pulled over couple of weeks ago for doin 85 in 40 zone and no comments about the exhaust from the cop. No CEL for 1100mi so far.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed on the M2 web site they show a 3", 4" and 5" setup. Is anything over 3" overkill? When is it to big, are there any benifits to a bigger pipe? They all seem to cost the same. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Attachments

G

·
The 3", 4" and 5" refer to the tip on the muffler. The exhaust "piping" is all 3". The 3" tips are duals tips, the 4" is a single, and the 5" is a mellon shooter. j/k. I got the 4" because it was in stock and I wanted it for a weekend at Willow Springs raceway. The 3" duals are more stealth but I think that the 4" is very tasteful. ;)

G

·
I have the MRT turbo back on my car. I really like it. The HP gains are nice & the sound is better. Not to loud!
I have also had the BPm on my car. It is louder with good HP gains..
The MRT comes in a TT also.

Pam/WRXGirl
714-842-4107 www.autocaresubaru.com

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: WRXGirl ]

G

·
Any issues with the Diff Protector? Getting the system to fit? Some systems you need to take the Diff Protector off the car... I do not want to do that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've generally found that the actual dyno'd HP gains of an exhaust system to be modest given the cost - 2-3 HP. Many manufacturers will claim something like 15-25 HP; ask to see a dyno graph for YOUR model car before you believe them. When you shop exhausts, (IMHO) shop for looks and how they sound. Often a new and more agressive engine growl will make you notice power that may have always been there. This is a fair trade - if you didn't want to notice performance then you'd have gotten an Outback.

Again, In My Humble Opinion. If it was me, however, I'd spend my $1200 on a chip, air cleaner, and some custom bent pipes (a few hundred at your local muffler shop) that deliver the sound I'm looking for.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So those of you with the turbo back, how loud are they? I want to open up the system but I don't want to piss off the people that live near me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but can someone please explain the difference between a "cat back" and a "turbo back" exhaust? I was just on the M2 site, and saw the price difference between the two. Are both of these system types CA legal?

·
Registered
554 Posts
A cat back is ffro the catalytic converter back, or about halfway under the car. The turbo back is from the engine compartment back with usually a down-pipe connected directly the the exhaust side of the turbo. I would imagine turbo back is not legal here in Cali. A cat back removes one of the three cats, emissions people tend to from upon removing smog equiptment. Does that help?

·
1,911 Posts
Turbo back is essentially what some companies call a downpipe and cat back exhaust sold together. They are really two seperate pieces and I always refer to them seperately myself. Downpipe rarely has a cat in it at all so emmissions would be out the window (at least on Japanese made systems). YOu can get some with a cat but that kind of defeats the purpose. Only some really expensive Japanese downpipes actually use a metal catalyst which is the only really high flowing cat design. Most european and Australian systems still use the old honycomb cat cores just like your stock one.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats the first time i've heard that the cat back removes one of the cats. So with a turbo back you loose 2 cats and replace them with 1 high flow cat :confused: and with a cat back you loose 1 cat.

If this is true than the only diffrence is a high flow cat vs. a OEM cat.

Please let me know if I got this right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts