Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I have a newbie questions regarding turbo-backs vs. cat-backs.

Does a turbo back mean removing ALL cats? If not, how many cats can you retain using a turbo back?

Would any turbo back destroy my emissions rating?

What exactly is the advantage over a cat back?

How loud is a cat back compared to a turbo back (for example a TXS turbo back compared to an HKS cat back)?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
a TurboXS turbo back would remove the cat in the downpipe(pipe that brings exhaust gases from turbo to midpipe) and will give you a high flow cat for the midpipe plus the rest of the exhaust, muffler etc... as for sound heres a linkExhaust

·
1,911 Posts
eingram said:
Hi, I am new here. I have a newbie questions regarding turbo-backs vs. cat-backs.

Does a turbo back mean removing ALL cats? If not, how many cats can you retain using a turbo back?

Would any turbo back destroy my emissions rating?

What exactly is the advantage over a cat back?

How loud is a cat back compared to a turbo back (for example a TXS turbo back compared to an HKS cat back)?

Thanks
All those questions vary a LOT depending on many factors. First of all all turbo backs are vastly different. Some put a cat in there and some go full cat free. Remember, either way you still have a cat in the uppipe BEFORE the turbo but that I assume you will remove long before you start upgrading the exhaust in any way. Now then, as far as noise that will depend on the muffler used. Cat free setup with stock muffler doesn't really sound much different than stock but going cat free v. using stock two cats on say an HKS cat back is a BIG difference. General rule? the louder the exhaust to begin with, the more of a difference in noise the cat free downpipe will create. Best combination is a free flowing 80 mm exhaust with a cat free downpipe with bell mouth design but that gets pretty loud most of the time. There are a few exceptions though. Apexi WS, Blitz Nur Spec Touring, and kakimoto R are all pretty quiet setups even with no cats.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If your just wanting a different sound/look then a rear section or catback exhaust will do fine. If your looking for increased performance then you need to go with a full turbo back exhaust.

Almost all the increase in performance is found in the down pipe and the mid pipe. By removing the cat in the down pipe and putting a high flow cat( or race pipe) in the mid pipe theres some real HP to be gained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks for all the help!

One more thing... Right now money is a bit tight, but I am just aching for that sound/look of a new exhaust. I was planning on a TurboXS turbo back exhaust as soon as I have the money for it.

BUT... I noticed that any universal muffler will fit to the TXS turbo back, so what would I need to get as an upgrade now (preferably bolt on) to get the sound/look that would fit with the turboXS system later - as I don't particularly like the muffler that comes with the TXS system, so I would buy it without the muffler).

What exactly is an axleback?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Axle-back is just the rear section, from the rear axle back. There's a number of options out there. If you want something nice and loud, a Blitz Nur Spec would do great, but I've heard they're a bit hard to find these days. A nice, more quiet sound would be the Prodrive axle-back, which you can find posted above in this forum. There's a lot of different options, so my recommendation would be to just shop around and see what you can find :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts