ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site, as well as a newly proud owner of a red 04 wrx with a Skunk2 racing megapower exhaust. I've been looking to get a Cobb accessport turner for that car, and found one for $300 the only issue is that it’s married to a 02 ecu. I guess my question is how can I unmarry the accessport from the 02ecu?

First thought was hook the 02 ecu up to me 04 and unmarry it that way, since the 02 and 04 ecu are fairly similar would there be any negative consequences with that?
I could always take it to COBB and have them do it for $50.00 but that’s a half tank of gas anymore.

And my other question is does anyone know where I can get a COBB map that is set up to work specifically with my exhaust?

Thanks for any advice in advanced.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
I guess my question is how can I unmarry the accessport from the 02ecu?
You cannot. Do not buy this.

I could always take it to COBB and have them do it for $50.00 but that’s a half tank of gas anymore.
OK

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your saying that even if I take it to COBB and have it unmarried theres no way for the accessport to work with my 04?

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
is this a v1 accessport of v2?

if it's a v1 even if you unmarry it, you cannot use it.

if it's a v2 you have 2 options
1) have the current owner of it unmarry it from the car it's married to
2) send it to cobb and have them reset the software so you can use it

the maps for your exhaust can be found on cobbs website. i'm assuming there are no other mods?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
Cobb will unmarry it I've heard but I don't know how reasonable that is when all the costs are added up. The version must be correct.

As for your initial question I have never considered running an 02 ECU in an 04, so I don't know. It's intrigueing though.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
As for your initial question I have never considered running an 02 ECU in an 04, so I don't know. It's intrigueing though.
didnt see that in the first post.

to clarify for the OP- you cannot hook up the accessport to ANY 02 wrx ecu to unmarry it. it has to be the SPECIFIC one that it's already married to.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok just to clarify just talked to COBB and they told me that the only way for it to work would be if either I get it unmarried and relicesened through them which would cost $300 or to connect the ecu to the original car that it came out of and unmarry it that way.

I talked to the kid selling it and he said that he bought the ecu and accessport from a person who wrecked the original car. So needless to say I'm not going to buy that accessport and instead I’m purchasing one for $400 which has never been married.

I wasn’t really considering running the 02 ecu in my 04. I don’t really know if it would work but mainly I figure that it would be just asking for something devastating to occur internally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts