ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I would of course prefer a pro-tune but no tuners around here so I went with the COBB AP and I don't think it's a "piggyback" tuner system, It's a proper tuning device...

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The Cobb Accessport is not a piggyback ECU,it is a re-flashing device. And any engine management system can be dyno tuned. The preference comes down to $$$ and what your needs/goals are.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i have the accessport, but would recommend opensource. it's cheaper & you'll see more gains.

the accessport though is very user friendly and convenient.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Are the opensource gaines considerate when compared to accessport?
By considerate you mean "nice to people?" hahaha

Accessports have off the shelf maps that generally work for "everybody." They don't take into account specifics such as climate, whether someone has a mod not listed in map notes (not the best idea), and so on. Opensource tunes that are available for purchase may be much more specific. Further more, there are internet tuners which can make you opensource maps per reading data logs and correcting them, then emailing them to flash on. So that kind of a tune will be more specific to your vehicle as opposed to an AP.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I prefer opensource mainly because the required hardware is considerably cheaper. The AP flashes the stock ECU in the same manner as opensource, so not much difference there. The AP comes with off the shelf stage one and two maps, where as there are many free user created off the shelf maps available for download for opensource, up to and beyond stage two. Both opensource and the AP allow the ECU to be professionally tuned, however just about anyone can get a cable and start tuning opensource, but I believe you have to be liscensed by Cobb to tune with the AP.

As far as dyno vs. street, I prefer a mixture of both. Work out all the WOT stuff on the dyno, then tune it on the street to tweak and smooth things out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can get OTS maps, an E-tune with the AP, or tune the car with the AP ATR just like OS...

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
but in the end, you're still spending an extra $600 when you only needed $100 at most for a Tactrix cable ;)

I'd venture to say that 95% of people have a laptop too...so I'm not counting that. If you don't have an available laptop...you can find one for cheaper than an AP.

But I will say an AP is very easy and user-friendly.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Are the opensource gaines considerate when compared to accessport?
No difference in HP gains that can be had, except the cost, but it's not as much of a difference as some people say, because in the end you can resell the AP when you decide you don't want/need it...

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
OP: the way your first post was phrased it appears as though you have a lot more reading to do about tuning. The more you learn yourself the better you will be later.

Read the stickies: Tuning: Electronic Engine Management

Accessport is easiest of all. No tuner required when you stay within the recommended guidelines for the maps Cobb provides. Can be custom Protuned by a tuner with Cobb's software. This allows for many more variations of mod components and higher potential performance numbers than Cobb supplied maps.

Open source (Tactrix) is cheapest of all. You will either need to learn tuning for yourself, or find a tuner well versed in using the open source software. The potential for higher performance numbers is similar to Cobb's Protune software when tuned by those with experience.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I prefer opensource mainly because the required hardware is considerably cheaper. The AP flashes the stock ECU in the same manner as opensource, so not much difference there. The AP comes with off the shelf stage one and two maps, where as there are many free user created off the shelf maps available for download for opensource, up to and beyond stage two. Both opensource and the AP allow the ECU to be professionally tuned, however just about anyone can get a cable and start tuning opensource, but I believe you have to be liscensed by Cobb to tune with the AP.

As far as dyno vs. street, I prefer a mixture of both. Work out all the WOT stuff on the dyno, then tune it on the street to tweak and smooth things out.
Not since COBB came out with the ATR software, anyone who want's can tune their own cars ECU for whatever mods they have just like OS...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP: the way your first post was phrased it appears as though you have a lot more reading to do about tuning. The more you learn yourself the better you will be later.
Thanks sasquatch, I do know the jist of it, I just got my terminology mixed up :), and I just wanted to know who liked what and why, just for preference reasons!

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Not since COBB came out with the ATR software, anyone who want's can tune their own cars ECU for whatever mods they have just like OS...

Doesn't that cost extra? And does buying the software (assuming it's not free) give you full rights to start tuning client's cars with it?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Cobb AP so I can easily switch back to my stock map if I have any warranty issues.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Doesn't that cost extra? And does buying the software (assuming it's not free) give you full rights to start tuning client's cars with it?
The ATR software is free, so as long as you have an AP you can tune your car with it, if you want to do it as a business you may need a license but could in theory tune with the car owners AP...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts