Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently tuned my 2015 WRX 93 octane custom tuned by a good pro tuner about a month and a half ago. Today I noticed my DAM had dropped to .750 and I had a FNL of -7.38/.35. I lightly drove it to see if I could get it back up and managed to get the DAM to .835 and the FNL down to -5.63/.35. I had recently filled the tank up with 93 Sunoco which was what the car was tuned on. While attempting to get the car back up to normal numbers I noticed no weird noises, feeling or smells. Should this be something to worry about or will it fix itself once the DAM is back up to 1?

Mishimoto TMIC
KN Air intake
Mishimoto Charge pipes
GFB BOV
Cobb cattback/downpipe
ACT HD clutch
Grimmspeed ECBS
Unknown MAF sensor

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
The dam drops as a last ditch effort to not blow up. It may not be coming back up. You need to contact the tuner.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Were any of the modifications added AFTER the vehicle was tuned?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were any of the modifications added AFTER the vehicle was tuned?
Nothing new. Only thing that’s changed with the car at all was the 4th gear synchro went. It’s the first time I’ve gotten anything weird since the car re learned just after the tune

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
I think it's important that you discuss this with the tuner. IMO they are obligated to support their ECU calibration. In this case, you haven't changed anything and yet you are seeing issues.

Was the calibration done on a dyno or on the road? If the latter, was it remote?

Weather in the USA is getting hotter and more humid -- the tuner will need to tweak compensations throughout the first year. You will see some similar behavior in the fall and winter most likely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dam drops as a last ditch effort to not blow up. It may not be coming back up. You need to contact the tuner.
Gotcha. I got it up to .950 last night but I noticed I’d only get that -7 FNL at 22-24% throttle if that would mean anything. Anything higher or lower and it’s a solid 0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's important that you discuss this with the tuner. IMO they are obligated to support their ECU calibration. In this case, you haven't changed anything and yet you are seeing issues.

Was the calibration done on a dyno or on the road? If the latter, was it remote?

Weather in the USA is getting hotter and more humid -- the tuner will need to tweak compensations throughout the first year. You will see some similar behavior in the fall and winter most likely.
It was mustang dyno tuned in colder weather. Right now it’s around 85-90 rather than the 45-55 when it was tuned.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Gotcha. I got it up to .950 last night but I noticed I’d only get that -7 FNL at 22-24% throttle if that would mean anything. Anything higher or lower and it’s a solid 0
So this is an important point.

Sometimes Calibrators only run the car through the maximum throttle and calibrate the the high load cells. This is done to save time OR if they only have an inertial dynomometer.

A good calibrator will spend time on all loads including the partial throttle loads (if they have a load dyno), but importantly the best calibrators take the car out on the street after the dyno to make sure everything looks good in the lower and partial throttle load cells.

It was mustang dyno tuned in colder weather. Right now it’s around 85-90 rather than the 45-55 when it was tuned.
This is pretty normal. It's impossible for a Calibrator to completely calibrate the compensations for different ambient conditions. It's common to see cars requiring tweaks to timing and boost control compensations throughout the year. Any calibrator worth their salt will support you with map updates. Have this conversation with the shop that tuned your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this is an important point.

Sometimes Calibrators only run the car through the maximum throttle and calibrate the the high load cells. This is done to save time OR if they only have an inertial dynomometer.

A good calibrator will spend time on all loads including the partial throttle loads (if they have a load dyno), but importantly the best calibrators take the car out on the street after the dyno to make sure everything looks good in the lower and partial load cells.

This is pretty normal. It's impossible for a Calibrator to completely calibrate the compensations for different ambient conditions. It's common to see cars requiring tweaks to timing and boost control compensations throughout the year. Any calibrator worth their salt will support you with map updates. Have this conversation with the shop that tuned your car.
Thank you. I’m new to tuning software but currently learning it. I left them a log and emailed them this morning so hope to get it in and figure out what’s up

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was told most likely bad gas as it was filled Wednesday morning. They said when it hits half go to the station I used when it was tuned and to not worry unless that doesn’t fix it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts