Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is pdxtuning the way to go? any others?

wrx wagon stage 2 or so with utec

·
Registered
444 Posts
I highly reccomend PDXtuning. The guys are great and don't mind sharing their knowledge. Tim does a great job and Mick is amazing with the utec. There's a reason they were a beta tester for the STi utec.

·
Registered
444 Posts
They don't have an actual address, but they do the tuning at Matrix. Go to pdxtuning.com and that should answer all your questions.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Ralitek

Rallitek is a good place they work on nothing but subaru's and their prices for tuning are way below PDX TUNINGS . *
that is their adress.
1040 SE Clinton St. Portland, OR 97202

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
+1 for PDXTuning. Tim is the man. Rallitek is pretty cool (Sean is a great guy, and knows his Subarus), and they're a great choice for any parts or work you want done on the car. But for tuning, EcuTek or otherwise, go to PDXTuning.

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
I want my car tuned too...

what is the average price ?? (At Rallitek.) I have a utec. Also a number for them.

Thanks.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Rallitek took out my Emanage and Installed Utec in my car for 150$ and they can road tune with utec for 75-150$ or they can dyno tune for 150$

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
i see a address but is there a number to call????

·
Registered
112 Posts
ashumo said:
is pdxtuning the way to go? any others?

wrx wagon stage 2 or so with utec
I payed $325 plus Ecutek licensing (gee does everyone forget about licensing) for a 1 1/2 hour tune on the Mustang Dyno at Matrix with PDXtuning. When my car was tuned, there was Tim Bailey in the passenger seat, Jeff Perrin, yes, Jeff Perrin in the back seat looking over Tim's shoulder and smiling! What other two people in this world would you rather have sitting in your car maximizing the power, especially with smiles on their faces right after a pull?

I have two words to say about PDXtuning - Freakin Awesome! I appreciate the extra time an effort they put into every tune. Your $325 at PDXtuning includes many pulls, they tune, test, tune, test, and tune again until it's just perfect!

1 week after my tune, Tim came out to "double check" things to make sure there was no knock, etc. and a month after I got my tune, I added a larger intercooler and asked Tim if he could re tune it, he retuned for boost and timing FOR FREE on a week night. What kind of service it that? No one else I know would do that!

I have been 100% satisfied with their customer service and performance. I will recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
400whpsti said:
Rallitek is a good place they work on nothing but subaru's and their prices for tuning are way below PDX TUNINGS . *
What's the * for? Are we compairing apples to apples or apples to oranges. What's the cost of a Utec plus tuning? What's the cost of Licensing an ECUTek reflash? If you add it all up, it's all the same price is it not?

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
Thank you.....so much for the address n number - 400whpsti

I need 3 maps...doesnt that cost more??? :confused1

·
Registered
112 Posts
400whpsti said:
Rallitek took out my Emanage and Installed Utec in my car for 150$ and they can road tune with utec for 75-150$ or they can dyno tune for 150$
What dyno does rallitek use? To my knowledge there's 3 in the area, one private in Hillsboro, 1 at Matrix, and a new one in a shop that's just starting up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to admit, I'm curious as to "400whpsti" and his (her?) motives.

First off, do you really have a 400 whp sti? Just curious.

Secondly, PdxTuning's NEVER charged $500 for any tune unless the dyno tune extended way longer than expected which only happens if they are trying to get the best out of the car for both safety and power. IOW, to benefit you. You DO understand PdxTuning's using Matrix's dyno and they've got to cover those costs, right? Or do you think they should eat that for you, and basically wind up doing your tuning for free? Personally I'd rather they remain in business by actually *gasp* making some money for what they do extremely well.

Thirdly, PdxTuning IS very good at what they do. And as some others have noted here, they go out of their way to make sure the customer is happy. My car's drivetrain is stock except the ecutek reflash. It would have been easy for them to just load a preset stage one map, tweak a little, and call it good. Instead they spent time trying to get it right, experimenting with boost and timing curves until they got a surprising increase in both whp and wtq over stock for a car with no other powertrain modifications. Their tuning knowledge is in the EXTEMELY QUALIFIED category.

Fourth, everything I have ever seen of these guys is that they go the extra mile to ensure the car's done right and the customer is happy. NO tuner has ever had 100% perfect results all the time. PdxTuning is ethical and responsible and will do their best to make sure it's right, I've seen it with many people they've tuned that I've spoken with. You just don't find companies like that on every corner and I'm a bit surprised you've decided to take a dump on them after they tuned your car. If you weren't happy, did you talk to them about it and see what resolution they offered? Seriously?

I wholeheartedly disagree with you, 400whpsti. For all I know you are a great guy, but I personally think you are confused. We're lucky they operate their business near us and we have them as a resource, not only in terms of the work they can do on our cars, but the knowledge they continually share with others, cheerfully and without expectation of any kind of thanks.

PS. I agree with Tim Connell... I'd like to know what dyno Rallitek is able to rent so cheaply? Perhaps unichip's? If so, if it really is that cheap, could they be getting a deal for selling unichip's products? There's nothing wrong with that, I don't think, but it's something to consider if they really can dynotune for less than pdxtuning. BTW, pdxtuning's listed dyno costs are INCLUSIVE of both DYNO TIME and TUNE. And if they've tuned you, you KNOW that.

As for the "charging for labor" comments... PdxTuning tunes cars. They don't build your car for you. You sound like you are holding them responsible for work Matrix did that you don't like. If so, you definitely are confused.

PS. I'd just like to add that I'd never met any of the pdxtuning guys before I took my car in there... It was all based on their reputation. Crappy tuners don't inspire loyalty yet you can see how many people are irked at the suggestion that pdxtuning is ripping people off or otherwise conducting shoddy business. That should tell you something about them right there.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
400whpsti said:
Matrix messed up my car. I dont have a problem with PDX i just dont go to them. All im saying is Rallitek does a great job they have better prices and they let the little things go. Like when he road tuned my car for 40 minutes he got it running good and he kept it from pinging and from running so rich. And he didn't charge me for it.
So have you ever even had your car tuned at PDXTuning, or did you just go to Matrix for some work? And how can you compare the price of a 1.5 hour dyno tune that would yield peak performance to a 40 minute road tune that just runs good and doesn't ping? Apples and oranges.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts