ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just wanted to give a BIG thanks to Pace for setting this catagory up! I think it is a GREAT addition to this site!

I am a newbie here, and I am thinking about getting TurboXS Stage 4 kit, and I am wondering if there has to be any special tuning in terms of the Unichip,that I might need since I am up here in the mile high City?

Thanks again for your help!

·
5,799 Posts
NeedsaWRX said:
Hey I just wanted to give a BIG thanks to Pace for setting this catagory up! I think it is a GREAT addition to this site!

I am a newbie here, and I am thinking about getting TurboXS Stage 4 kit, and I am wondering if there has to be any special tuning in terms of the Unichip,that I might need since I am up here in the mile high City?

Thanks again for your help!
Interesting that you should ask. I'm sorta kinda in the process of working with TurboXS to diagnose why my Stage 4 setup is under-performing (by their observation). While I don't fully understand the particulars of tuning for high altitude, it seems there may be issues related to the later spooling of the compressor and problems caused by the EMS' premature dumping of fuel, etc.

I guess my take would be that while off-the-shelf maps will suffice, you really need to have the vehicle dyno-tuned to maximize the potential of your modifications. While this is probably true for any WRX, I think it is somewhat more important when daily driving at this kind of altitude (8000ft in my case).

You might try to get input from some of the standalone EMS guys such as Phast, and see what challenges they have had in tuning for altitude.

-Pace

·
Registered
719 Posts
I personally love the Link. I've been able to maximize spool and the maps on the car and run low 13s up here with a tiny turbo. (tiny is relative.. its a VF30)

I had originally considered a Unichip but was talked out of it by Shiv after telling him the goals for my car. The only thing reasonable at the time was the Link. So I went for it. I think I made the right decision. Even though TXS had said they made changes to their maps for high altitude, it was a shot in the dark as pace has experienced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts