ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I call upon the tuning-literate to help me out here please. If I'm posing incorrectly please let me know. It's regarding tuning a Forester with swapped JDM WRX engine, trans and ECU- merged to the factory USDM harness, and what my options are. I jumped right to the issue, but i posted the backstory after, if anyone is interested.

ISSUE:
Forester ej205 swap, upgrades currently being done: 6 speed swap, STI 2015+ steering rack, catless UP/DP, vf48 turbo, STI injectors/intercooler/bpv, Tomei turbo inlet, boost hoses, MM radiator, Brembos etc....

My concern now... is how am I going to tune it? The shop doing the repairs doesn't do tuning. This is my first time every doing a build like this, so I'm curious how this will work once everything's together... Prior to this, any work that was done on one of my cars was done in my parents garage where step-pops has a lift, and a lifetime of wrenching knowledge to guide me. I've never done a custom build or had to tune a car, which brings me here.

Now, almost all of the steering and suspension is being replaced, so my assumption is im going to receive a car that needs an alignment, BAD. Also, I imagine the car won't run well either because of all the changes (if it runs at all? or will it?). The JDM WRX ECU will now wake up to headers, AOS, new catless UP/DP and exhaust, STI injectors and DW fuel pump, all installed while it was out. Any idea what I can expect at that point?

From the research I've done, a Cobb AP won't be possible with the JDM ECU, so I will need to do an open source tune. THIS is where the mystery begins for me. Will a tuner be able to work an open source tune onto a JDM ECU? Or should I purchase a standalone ECU? Will that work with this wiring merge? I assume whatever tuner I go to will be able to explain (I have one in mind), but I would like to educate myself as best I can first, so I will be able to follow along easier when I'm taking up their time. Just want some input on what to expect. Thanks!

Backstory:
I bought a 2003 Forester X 5-speed from a buddy back in 2014. He is a legit(licensed? idk) mechanic, he did most of the swap himself as a side project, then sold it to me after he experienced some life changes. The swap had all been done, but he pretty much stopped putting any attention into the car at that point. I bought it, and received it as an 03 Forester X, trashed inside and out, 160k miles on body, blown struts, turbo was no good, stock hood with a hole cut in the wrong place for the intercooler, little issues here and there, BUT: jdm engine, trans, drive train, diff, and axels all from a JDK WRX from JDM SoCal with receipts, and JDM ECU WIRED TO FACTORY HARNESS (important).

I changed the turbo for a low mileage takeoff, STI suspension, some headers. It was cool, but it never really got used, it was always not quite done, and i never had the money or time to invest in it. Fast forward 6 years and here we are. Beginning of this year I started putting some work into, got a huge push of inspiration, found a reputable shop to do a few things for me and order a couple parts, and I said screw it: SIX SPEED SWAP!!! I worked out a deal with the owner, and he started offering me upgrades, and I turned into a yes man lol.

Project includes:
-STI 6 speed swap, STI 2015+ steering rack, SG STI LCAs, Whiteline adjustable RCAs, sway bars and endlinks, KSport Gravel-Rally Coilovers
-FXT subframe, headers, catless UP and DP, vf48 turbo, STI injectors/intercooler/bpv, Tomei turbo inlet, boost hoses, MM radiator, rear 2 pot conversion, front Brembos etc....
-Also got new carpets, XT door cards with the black leather trim, all leather interior from 2010 XT lmtd, and just bought some Methods- MR501s!

Cant wait to get this on the road

Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
I doubt there is anyone in the states that can tune the jdm ecu. You should have used the factory one and tuned for your build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Lol ok I was wrong, but glad I'm wrong. Its a USDM ECU, wiring harness merge done by iWire... I was reading through my texts from the previous owner and and misread it. So it is a USDM WRX ECU.

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
I'd take it to a performance shop familiar with that swap and conversion to finish it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts