ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a debate raging on how some automakers are pushing to copyright their software and make owners sign licensing agreements.

Their argument is the software that controls every vehicle function belongs to the automakers, and not the owner of the vehicle.

Our fear is it would undercut mechanics and enthusiasts legal rights to modify their cars to enhance performance with aftermarket parts, regardless if it’s for the street or “Off Highway Use”.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's a debate raging on how some automakers are pushing to copyright their software and make owners sign licensing agreements.

Their argument is the software that controls every vehicle function belongs to the automakers, and not the owner of the vehicle.

Our fear is it would undercut mechanics and enthusiasts legal rights to modify their cars to enhance performance with aftermarket parts, regardless if it’s for the street or “Off Highway Use”.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this?
I think we should be able to do what we want with our own cars. Subaru did not join in that crappy petition which to me is a money grab by the major auto companies. Subaru went way up in my loyalty index.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts